Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG Oil Pump Help Asap

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OMG Oil Pump Help Asap

Ok I have my front cover off in my 01 LS1 93 RX7, problem is I can't take out the oil pump (and change timing chain because of that). Tube won't let the pump go, can't lower oil pan because its right against ...steering mazda parts...

To change pump I would have to
1. Lift the engine
or
2. Dissasemble front steering and whole damn front end
or
3. Move tranny to slide oil pan back.

I can't afford or do any of those lol.

Anyway, I decided to take front cover off the oil pump

Bad choice

Had to go get sealant for the bolts since there was some originally and 2 or 3 holes on the pump are stripped out. I went got new bolts of same size and red thread tight locker. Most bolts tightened about 18 lbs/ft...stripped out ones about 10-15 lbs.. I want to make sure this oil pump does NOT fail..there are only 2 parts in it so I don't see how it can. Front cover hopefully is right against the oil pump, so that should never come apart and I'm also hoping for thread locker making up for that.

So far this is the only thing I'm not too sure about on this heads/cam swap.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lift the engine and do it the right way. Rather it be a pain now than a pain later when you fubar your engine.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

yeah I'm with ArticZ28: here's how to do it by the book.

Oil Pump, Pump Screen and Deflector Replacement

Removal Procedure

Remove the engine front cover.
Remove the engine oil pan.
Remove the oil pump screen bolt and nut.
Remove the oil pump screen and O-ring seal.
Remove the O-ring seal from the pump screen.
Discard the O-ring seal.

Remove the remaining crankshaft oil deflector nuts.
Remove the crankshaft oil deflector.

Remove the oil pump bolts. Important: Do not allow dirt or debris to enter the oil pump, cap the ends as necessary.
Remove the oil pump.
Clean and inspect the oil pump.
Installation Procedure

Important: Inspect the engine block oil gallery passages. These surfaces must be clear and free of debris or restrictions.

Align the splined surfaces of the crankshaft sprocket and the oil pump drive gear and install the oil pump.
Install the oil pump onto the crankshaft sprocket until the pump housing contacts the face of the engine block. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Install the oil pump bolts. Tighten the oil pump bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).

Install the crankshaft oil deflector.
Install the crankshaft oil deflector nuts. Tighten the crankshaft oil deflector nuts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).

Lubricate a NEW oil pump screen O-ring seal with clean engine oil.
Install the NEW O-ring seal onto the oil pump screen. Important: Push the oil pump screen tube completely into the oil pump prior to tightening the bolt. Do not allow the bolt to pull the tube into the pump. Align the oil pump screen brackets with the correct crankshaft bearing cap studs.
Install the oil pump screen.
Install the oil pump screen bolt and nut.
Tighten the oil pump screen bolt to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.).
Tighten the oil pump screen nut to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
Install the engine oil pan.
Install the engine front cover.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Launching!

I was going to do that but the problem is that the engine is in my RX7 and it will not allow me to take oil pan off, because of clearance issues
Old 02-04-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Me, I am a shade tree mechanic, but even so I would drop the pan and do it right.

My mechanic prefers to drop the motor and crossmember on a Camaro so he can get to the oil pump and pickup properly. (Course he can R&R a motor in 4 hours too!) It is amazing how ez it is to put on the oil pump pickup o ring with the motor upside down on an engine stand. <g>

You really only need to drop the front of the pan about an inch to be able to get at every thing. You do need to be darned careful about dropping the oring or a bolt into the pan in that position but it can be done even with my limited motor building skills.

Perry
Old 02-04-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

I'll I can think of then is if you contact someone like Hinson Supercars who does alot of LS1 powered RX7s and maybe they can give you an alternative. Can you unbolt the the motor mounts and raise the engine enough to give you clearance to lower the pan not fully remove it and use an engine cradle to hold the engine up while its un bolted?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Launching!

After moving steering linkage and dropping oil pan like... 1/3 of an inch it was enough to get the oil pump free! Installed Ported LS6 Oil pump, thanks for talking me into doing it the right way
Old 02-04-2007, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

why cant the corvette pickup tube with the bolt on the other side by used on fbody's. It would be easy to get that bolt off since its above the oil pan.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Its lame, mine is a z28 01 ls1 and that bolt is on bottom - i do not see any reason for this, but its fairly easy to install/uninstall it with eyebrow snips

Last edited by kukri; 02-04-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you're going to reuse the pump, get a helicoil kit and repair your threads. I do that with every pump I port because the self tapping bolts will kill the aluminum when you try to reinstall them.

Quick Reply: OMG Oil Pump Help Asap