Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Pecking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Pecking Noise

Ive got a bad pecking noise coming from the motor after a hard 2nd and 3rd gear pull to 6600 rpm. I didnt miss a shift or bouce off the rev limiter. When I let off of it in third gear it started pecking. When I slowed down it got a little louder, then after about 30 seconds or so it started missing. It sounds like it might be a lifter or something. At first I thought it might have been a broken valve spring or a bent push rod. But the pecking is coming from down inside the middle of the motor. And also the check engine light is coming on now.

I have the MS3 cam with PRC valve springs and hardened push rods from TSP. I didn't upgrade the lifters, they are still stock and have about 53000 miles on them. And the cam has only been in for 2 weeks with about 300 miles on it.

Would anyone know what might be the problem. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same noise coming from my motor and it sounds like its deep under the motor...like a rod, or possibly rod bearing got spun, and who knows, maybe we fried a piston or two....mine is the same noise but its more like a light clack clack clack clack clack...somebody help us out with these sound effects lol OH and PS- after that "noise" started, mine started throwing white smoke like a friggin train...maybe i hurt it worse than you did
Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

i'll say you have a spun main bearing. how is your oil pressure ? sometimes even with a spun bearing it will still have good pressure.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Mine has good oil pressure. It also smoked a little more than usual when I pulled it into the garage. I was still curious to find out where exactly the sound was coming from so I started it up again and it didn't smoke any and ran fine, all except the miss and the pecking noise. And also it feels like only one cylinder is missing. But everything had cooled down before I started it again.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the smoke white or white with blue tint? Regardless, I'd pull the valve covers and check everything out under there.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Teching In

It looked to be just white, but it was at night without good light.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Nevermind. Just pulled the valve covers off tonight and found a rocker arm bolt had backed 2/3 of the way out. What a relief.