Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an off the wall question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got an off the wall question

Would it be dangerous or illadvised to use brake cleaner on the cylinder heads. I would be using it very moderately on a no abrasive sponge.
Right now I have the engine stripped down to the block and want to clean up the cyl heads and walls.
Any other suggestions?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

don't see why not I sprayed the **** outta my heads with it. pretty sure it doesn't have any reaction/affect on aluminum. Alot of brake parts are made from aluminum so it should be safe.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean pistons and cylinder walls / sleeves?
I ask because that is what is pictured. Should be ok, but the stuff will seep down past the rings and an oil change will definitely be required. May be better to pull the pan off if you can.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a way to clean things up a bit, WD40 and lacquer thinner

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...&page=26&pp=10

Originally Posted by moregrip
No, not on the pistons, too aggressive IMO. I clean the pistons the old fashioned way........by hand I use a mix of lacquer thinner and a citrus cleaner (so I can stand the chemical smell longer). I vacuum the cylinders periodically and thoroughly upon completion of one piston, I positioned each piston at the top of its stroke so it moves down away from the work area in the cylinder as I gradually wipe everything down with WD40, when finished I then wipe the cylinder with straight lacquer thinner, finally I coat the parts with WD40 before I bag it up each night
Old 02-09-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is the green brush called and where did you get it?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

3m makes them. most auto stores have them. there gasket prep discs. BUT, GM has put out a bullettin NOT to use them for cleaning head surfaces or any other internal eng. surface becuase they have an abrasive particle (sand maybe?) that will seperate from the disc and get inside the engine. after you start the eng. and run it for a while, the oil will wash it down and eventually end up taking out your oil pump. thats a worse case scenario, but still a good reason not to use them. if it was an intake or say waterpump (older eng. stuff here, not gen III stuff obviously) then you could wash the parts out really good. you never be able to rinse the whole block with it assembled like that. if you had MLS gaskets, you wont have anyproblem using nothing but a towl and brake parts cleaner. thats what I did, and I didnt scratch the deck surface. you can see all the factory machine marks and it looks brand new. the brake cleaner will sorta dissolve the goo thats left on the block surface. and for the piston tops, top end cleaner from GM is made for disolving that carbon buildup. but I used a razor blade and brake parts cleaner for that. just dont try to rinse off the carbon. that wont happen and you dont want to rinse all the oil out of the rings on teh sides of the pistons. I spray the cleaner onto the rag, then wipe the block/pistons. also, wipe the cyl. walls with dry towels till dry, then clean oil on the clean towels to use the oil to remove any debris from the cyl. walls. dont forget to reoil the walls before you put it all back together. since Im using cometic gaskets, I was really **** about clening the deck w/o scratching/damaging the surface. I'll post a pic of the block when I get home.
one more thing, when you think your done, spin the crank over, and redo all the cyl. walls. you'll figure out that dirt/debris will collect on top of the rings, when you spin the crank and the piston goes up then back down, it'll leave atleast most of the dirt on the oil on the cyl wall.

let the work begin!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irocss85
3m makes them. most auto stores have them. there gasket prep discs. BUT, GM has put out a bullettin NOT to use them for cleaning head surfaces or any other internal eng. surface becuase they have an abrasive particle (sand maybe?) that will seperate from the disc and get inside the engine. after you start the eng. and run it for a while, the oil will wash it down and eventually end up taking out your oil pump. thats a worse case scenario, but still a good reason not to use them. if it was an intake or say waterpump (older eng. stuff here, not gen III stuff obviously) then you could wash the parts out really good. you never be able to rinse the whole block with it assembled like that. if you had MLS gaskets, you wont have anyproblem using nothing but a towl and brake parts cleaner. thats what I did, and I didnt scratch the deck surface. you can see all the factory machine marks and it looks brand new. the brake cleaner will sorta dissolve the goo thats left on the block surface. and for the piston tops, top end cleaner from GM is made for disolving that carbon buildup. but I used a razor blade and brake parts cleaner for that. just dont try to rinse off the carbon. that wont happen and you dont want to rinse all the oil out of the rings on teh sides of the pistons. I spray the cleaner onto the rag, then wipe the block/pistons. also, wipe the cyl. walls with dry towels till dry, then clean oil on the clean towels to use the oil to remove any debris from the cyl. walls. dont forget to reoil the walls before you put it all back together. since Im using cometic gaskets, I was really **** about clening the deck w/o scratching/damaging the surface. I'll post a pic of the block when I get home.
one more thing, when you think your done, spin the crank over, and redo all the cyl. walls. you'll figure out that dirt/debris will collect on top of the rings, when you spin the crank and the piston goes up then back down, it'll leave atleast most of the dirt on the oil on the cyl wall.

let the work begin!

Yea, What He Said! (I actually put those thoughts in his head)

Bill
Old 02-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

A plastic ice scraper and brake cleaner worked like a charm on my pistons. I didn't reuse my heads but I bet it would work on them just as good. I ran the pistons up to TDC and shop vac'd all around the edge of the piston too. You'll be surprised all the crap that tries to hide down there on top of the ring.