Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~Budget Engine Build...Turbo Set Up~

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~Budget Engine Build...Turbo Set Up~

Just wondering if some of you guys can help me out here...Im looking to gather up all the pieces I would need to forge a shortblock...I either want to do a 347 or a 383...dono what the price difference are....what do you think the optimum Compression ratio would be for the kind of set up Im looking at?

My goal is to have a turbo set up with about 600whp....like 500whp daily and be able to turn it up to about 650whp without worrying about damaging the engine....keep in mind the engine wont constantly be at 650whp, nor do I drag race....

So what all pieces would you guys use to best suit these needs? Or does someone make a shortblock for boosted applications? I would rather gather the pieces myself and have a buddy of mine put it together to save money....

What kind of whp does a built 347 put out? What about a 383?

TRYING TO SAVE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE!!! WITHOUT SACRAFICING RELIABLITY!!!

Last edited by my01ws6; 02-13-2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:36 AM
TECH Resident

well im gettin a LQ4 370 cu in iron block with AFR 205cc heads, custom cam, bigger fuel, intake etc etc with a twin turbo setup from speed inc. That will still retain A/C, power steering, power everything and be daily driveable. That setup will cost quite a bit tho. about 9k for the turbo setup alone. Another 4k for the block w/forged internals. and 2k for heads. After all that u still need to beef up your rear/clutch/etc... High hp comes at quite a cost if u wanna retain driveability and reliability.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah Im not looking for anything quite that experienced yet...this car is going to be like a DD....not really but I want to be able to if I choose to...Like I said Im looking for and engine that can withstand about 600-750rwhp...and 500 daily....

Basicly I just want a FUN, FAST, RELIABLE 500whp DD!

Last edited by my01ws6; 02-13-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have similar goals with mine I am doing right now. Only mine is supercharged and will see ~600rwhp at ~9-10psi. Since I have a P-1SC, I am going with a 347 as a 383 would probably be too much for a P-1SC to make optimum boost with. If I had a D-1SC, I'd do a 383, but a forged 347 will make the power I want. SDPC is building my shortblock with a stock LS6 crank, compstar rods, and Mahle -4cc pistons and ARP hardware. I am going with some stock LQ9 heads and that should put my SCR at ~9.4:1. If you are going to order all the parts, it costs about the same to get the shortblock assembled as it does to build it yourself. I chose to let the professionals who do this all the time do mine just for peace of mind. Call or PM Matt @ SDPC and he can hook you up!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks Chad! Like he said, we can customize your shortblock any way you like for the boost! Don't forget we offer very competitive pricing on numerous manufacturers' cylinder heads as well! And of course we can get you any cam from Comp, Crane, Lunati, or CamMotion! Give me a call or shoot me a PM if I can help you with anything at all!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

well what all would I have to upgrade to have a safe reliable shortblock? I know I wont need to replace every single thing in there.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to build your own, you can re-use the crank if you go the 347 route (assuming it is within tolerance or can be turned down to accept different bearings). You will definately want to get forged pistons and rods tho. Then while you are there, may as well get a cam, and get some 6.0L heads to lower your compression some for use with boost. You can re-use your lifters and trays, but you will need new hardened pushrods if you plan on getting aftermarket valvesprings (which you should do), you can re-use the stock rockers, but you are taking a gamble with them since they are known to spill their bearings. Send them in to harland sharp to have them rebuilt to be bullet proof, or get new aftermarket ones. At the very least, replace your timing chain with an LS2 version- which you can use the stock gears with. May as well put a better oil pump on too to protect your major investment you are about to make. You have a lot of research to do, but this is some of the info I have acquired over the last few months of planning my build. Do all your homework and make sure you are content with whatever decision you make.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

THANK YOU!!! That is the EXACT answer I was looking for!! Cause I have no i dea what the stock stuff with withstand powerwise....

Yeah Im not planing on doing this UNTIL I have my turbo kit built...First I will build my turbo kit or find a prebuilt one...then I will build my motor...then get a rear end...then have EVERYTHING put on at once!