Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distributor setup for LSX engines?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor setup for LSX engines?!

was lookin at a site somebody linked to for something else and found this on that site, a distributor and optional mechanical fuel pump for LSX. seems kinda backwards to convert to a distributor from the individual coils, but interesting none the less
http://s41657.sites80.storefront-hos...l.aspx?ID=3291
Old 02-17-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

I'm installing a Ls1 into a 88 Caprice. Something like this could be usefull if I didnt want to go the carb route.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

something like that will make you go the carb route. I like the MSD idea better that allows you to run a carb, but retain the elec. timing control (advance/curve) and seperate coil packs just like fuel inj. but w/o the fuel controls.
but this is a great idea for someone who has no time/money to invest in learning computer tuning. certainly seems to be a cheaper alt. for an eng. swap.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Irocss85
something like that will make you go the carb route. I like the MSD idea better that allows you to run a carb, but retain the elec. timing control (advance/curve) and seperate coil packs just like fuel inj. but w/o the fuel controls.
but this is a great idea for someone who has no time/money to invest in learning computer tuning. certainly seems to be a cheaper alt. for an eng. swap.
What MSD fails to mention to you is that there coils and box were not designed to work together. The box and coils also will not do anything past 7000 rpms. WE are putting a distributor on the motor so we can finish tuning the 372 cubic inch motor we had that stuff on. It still made over 720 hp like this. With a stronger spark i think 760 is very attainable. This is NA numbers on a nitrous motor. We havent even started to get the tune down on the nitrous numbers.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

So if you dont plan on going past the 7k mark youre fine right with the msd?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

sounds like it. however thats a real problem for alot of people's combo that might consider running the MSD's setup. that sucks.

v6bird, you thinking of an msd dist. and maybe a dig. 6 ign. for that mean LS1 then? let us know how that goes after the conversion.

Quick Reply: distributor setup for LSX engines?!