Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melling O-ring blue one or black?

Old 02-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Melling O-ring green one or black?

I am installing a melling oil pump. It came with 2 o-rings a green one (thicker) and a black one (stock size). Which one do I install on the pickup tube? Thanks in advance, Ken.

Last edited by KSrebuilder; 02-17-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Wrong discription
Old 02-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:36 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Ken,
I've run into this before when I ported my stock oil pump. I ordered both o-rings and tried them both. Only one of the two really filled out the gap between the oil pick-up tube and the pump inlet. If I were you, I'd oil them both and try them both and see which is the better fit. I suspect that the oil pump inlet inside diameter is the same on all pumps. However the oil puck-up tube outside diameter may vary depending on P/N. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Steve
Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks Steve I will try that.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Teching In

The green o-ring is a little too big. It doesn't want to go into the pump without a lot of pressure and when it does the pickup tube doesn't want to seat. I also changed out the red spring for the blue after reading forum posts on this issue. The last thing I want to do is have to take off the oil pan after the motor is installed.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KSrebuilder
I am installing a melling oil pump. It came with 2 o-rings a green one (thicker) and a black one (stock size). Which one do I install on the pickup tube? Thanks in advance, Ken.
match it to the old one, of you have it. but most of the time it will be the green one.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:47 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

The green o-ring is a little too big. It doesn't want to go into the pump without a lot of pressure and when it does the pickup tube doesn't want to seat. I also changed out the red spring for the blue after reading forum posts on this issue. The last thing I want to do is have to take off the oil pan after the motor is installed.
i take it you are using the #10296 pump. the o-ring must go on tight, and if you had to shim the pump away from the timing chain, the pickup tube will go on tight as well. loose o-ring on the pick up tube=no oil pressure!
Old 02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

I put the old oil ring on and stuck it in the old pump and the new pump. It fit the same, not real snug but not loose either. I then put the new black o-ring in the old pump and also the new pump. It fit the same in both pumps, slightly tighter than the stock one. It did take a little more pressure to get it in when the stock o-ring took no pressure. I then put on the green larger o-ring and it was difficult to get in but it would go in. At rest when pushed all the way in there was a 1/16" gap before the tube would seat. The smaller new o-ring had a 1/32" gap at rest. I think the smaller o-ring is the correct fit compairing it to the old stock one. Thanks for all your input, Ken.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:13 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Ken, it sounds like you made the right choice.

Steve
Old 02-19-2007, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

my felpro timing cover kit also came with 2 o rings green and a black. stock was grey i believe. i could not get the green one in right! so i used the black one. I kinda wish i reused the old one. I bought this motor and trans and put the new ls6 katech bluprinted cnc ported oilpump before i even started up motor in my swap vehicle. at idle with 0w30 catrol germen syn i get 28 to 30psi and cruising i get 40 to 45psi on freeway. Does this seem ok ? If i used wrong o ring would i be getting any kinda pressures like that ?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Called Melling today and they e-mailed me a copy of the instructions. There are 2 different styles of pickup tubes. One tube (like mine) just has a bead maybe a inch or so from the end of the tube, this uses the smaller black o-ring. The other style of tube has the same bead but the end of the tube is flaired a little, this uses the green o-ring. It appears that according to the drawing that the green o-ring just fits between the flair and the bead. I have no idea what tubes were manufactured when except mine is a 2002. Ken
Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Called Melling today and they e-mailed me a copy of the instructions. There are 2 different styles of pickup tubes. One tube (like mine) just has a bead maybe a inch or so from the end of the tube, this uses the smaller black o-ring. The other style of tube has the same bead but the end of the tube is flaired a little, this uses the green o-ring. It appears that according to the drawing that the green o-ring just fits between the flair and the bead. I have no idea what tubes were manufactured when except mine is a 2002. Ken
what's your tube look like on the end?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Mine just has the one bead about an inch from the end.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

im using the gto oilpan and pickup tube! green o ring would not fit.... i dont remember how it looked i can try to look online i guess for a picture.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I can shift faster than you.

The green o-ring is for the truck-style pickup tubes. Use the black o-ring (or an OEM blue one) on the F-bodies, Vettes,etc.

Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Melling O-ring blue one or black?