Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tap tap tap... help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tap tap tap... help please.

I was just cleaning up my car, checking oil etc. and when I started it (it was driven about 2 hours before) I heard this tapping sound, it only does it at idle and sounds like its coming from the intake area. I put my ear to the tips and no strange sounds what so ever. At first I thought it was my catch can tapping the head but its not. Anybody have any idea what this could be? I've done quite a bit of searching and I don't think its piston slap (the heads were still hot to the touch when it was doing this), maybe a lifter (that would suck, this is a NEW motor with 30k on it), a lifter bleeding down fast, or something else. I would really appreciate any input you guys have. I'm about to go check the torque on the rocker arms and make sure they are good and I don't have a broken spring. Thanks for anything!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely a bent pushrod if anything. The lifters are pretty reliable.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Just checked all the pushrods, rocker arms, springs and everything is checked out, all were torqued to 22ft/lb's. I re-tightened them to 22ft/lb's, turned the motor over, and torqued em' again. I pulled of the TB and felt around in the intake to make sure nothing had manged to get in there, no dice there either. Any other idea's?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hows your oil PSI look?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Oil pressure is great, about 45 psi at idle, 60+ at WOT. I got it back together from checking under the covers, started it up and it was silent for about 30 seconds, then it started doing it very quietly, then got louder, then faded away then started doin it again. Its VERY intermittent, not in any kind of pattern that I can tell. I'm stumped, it almost sounds like its coming from underneath the intake now, but it is definitely more on the passenger side than the driver. It sounds like say a metal nail tapping on plastic. Really weird.