Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an M.I.D. block HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought an M.I.D. block HELP!!!

i bought a used M.I.D. block. I was told it was an LS6 block with the Darton M.I.D. wet sleeves. Something told me to check the part number 12566910 and it says it is a block from an 04 SSR 5.3L aluminum block. The sleeves are bored 4.130 . My plans are to build somewhere between a 430-436 CID stroker motor. My question is, will this 5.3L block have the same strength and integrity of an LS6 sleeved block?? i just don't want to build this set up, not knowing much about this block and end up with an expensive paperweight. any help or info will be greatly appreciated
Old 02-20-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, the sleever's I know don't use LS-6 blocks. There not strong enough in critical area's after the machining is done. The one's I know use LS-1 blocks for MID work. I don't know alot about the 5.3 block, but if it is built like the LS1 block, you should be fine. Just because it's called an LS-6 dosen't make it stronger. For MID purposes, the LS1 block is stronger and provides more meat were it's needed.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by URLOSN
i bought a used M.I.D. block. I was told it was an LS6 block with the Darton M.I.D. wet sleeves. Something told me to check the part number 12566910 and it says it is a block from an 04 SSR 5.3L aluminum block. The sleeves are bored 4.130 . My plans are to build somewhere between a 430-436 CID stroker motor. My question is, will this 5.3L block have the same strength and integrity of an LS6 sleeved block?? i just don't want to build this set up, not knowing much about this block and end up with an expensive paperweight. any help or info will be greatly appreciated

hi,

i would not use the LS6 or 5.3L blocks for MID wet sleeving, the aluminum between the two liners tend to crack easily. use a late model LS1 block.

hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

thanks beast, i just wondered if anyone had heard of sleeving a 5.3L like this. I know the sleeves are strong enough, just want to make sure the block itself is strong enough. I would like to see in the 575-600 rwhp with the set up i am looking at doing. Been following several of your posts in other threads to gain info and knowledge.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

hmmm... not sounding good
Old 02-20-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Texas-Speed and see what they say. You'll get a definitive answer there.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vtanju
hi,

i would not use the LS6 or 5.3L blocks for MID wet sleeving, the aluminum between the two liners tend to crack easily. use a late model LS1 block.

hope this helps.
You ought to silence your pie hole if you don't know what you are talking about. When you wet sleeve a block there isn't any auminum material left between the sleeves at all. The entire inside of the cylinder case is cut out. The cylinders use the outside of the case and machined flats on each side to locate them selves.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
You ought to silence your pie hole if you don't know what you are talking about. When you wet sleeve a block there isn't any auminum material left between the sleeves at all. The entire inside of the cylinder case is cut out. The cylinders use the outside of the case and machined flats on each side to locate them selves.
I thought that as well, but I didn't want to give him an answer I wasn't certain of because I don't know a ton about sleeving blocks.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

You should try not being a horses *** right out of the gate. If you want to prove or disprove someone, try doing it in a constructive manner. FWIW, you still don't want to use a LS6 block or any other block that has "cast in windows" or "bay to bay" breathing, MID or not. The void that the "windows" leave casue integrity issues on the LS6 blocks, so he is correct in the fact that you only want to use LS1 style blocks. It's my opinion that the 5.3 blocks wouldn't have the breathing bays, so they should be the same as a LS1 block for sleeving. If you want to know for sure, call up Steve at Race engine development. He is a sponsor in the list on the right. He can tell you anything you want to know about any of the blocks. He is the co-inventor of the sleeves and does this for a living. I'll venture to say he'll be through here though.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

i called steve and he pretty much said he wouldn't do it if it was him, but he told me to look between the sleeves from the mail side and see if the material between the sleeves was cracking, if not it may be ok, but he still probably wouldn't do it.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The void that the "windows" leave casue integrity issues on the LS6 blocks, so he is correct in the fact that you only want to use LS1 style blocks. It's my opinion that the 5.3 blocks wouldn't have the breathing bays, so they should be the same as a LS1 block for sleeving.
ok, beast, i might be reading this and understanding it wrong, but are you saying that an "LS1 style" block would need to be used, since the 5.3 is an LS1 style correct?? not trying to be a smart ***, cause i really don't understand. But above he said that they take all material out between the cylinder's leaving an open case?? Steve told me to turn it over and look from the Mains side and see if the material was cracking between the cylinder's. So there is material still between the cylinder's correct? Like i said above, i am wanting to build a 430-436 CID that should run off in the 9's on motor and still hold a 100-150 shot. thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
You should try not being a horses *** right out of the gate. If you want to prove or disprove someone, try doing it in a constructive manner.
Well the guy spewing nonsense shouldn't be posting information as fact. I am willing to bet that guy has never even seen in the inside of an MID block.
Still, it probably came off a little more condescending than it should of, and if it offended the misinformed poster I apologize. However I for one am getting pretty tired of seeing misinformation and non-truth's posted around here in a factual manner. It makes LS1tech less of a credible resource and more like every other useless car chat site on the net. I come here to share factual information about my hobby with others. The OP came here with a problem, someone goes of half cocked, spewing bullshit he/she knows nothing about not only does the OP a disservice but anyone else who does a search on the topic.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Call Steve at RED and ask him.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

up
Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the guy spewing nonsense shouldn't be posting information as fact. I am willing to bet that guy has never even seen in the inside of an MID block.
Still, it probably came off a little more condescending than it should of, and if it offended the misinformed poster I apologize. However I for one am getting pretty tired of seeing misinformation and non-truth's posted around here in a factual manner. It makes LS1tech less of a credible resource and more like every other useless car chat site on the net. I come here to share factual information about my hobby with others. The OP came here with a problem, someone goes of half cocked, spewing bullshit he/she knows nothing about not only does the OP a disservice but anyone else who does a search on the topic.
From his original post:i would not use the LS6 or 5.3L blocks for MID wet sleeving, the aluminum between the two liners tend to crack easily. use a late model LS1 block.

Info that Steve gave:he told me to look between the sleeves from the mail side and see if the material between the sleeves was cracking,

It's obvious that he knows something about it. From what I understand "all" of the material is not removed. I to get aggrivated over misinformation, but I try to bring it to light in a civil manner. Being rude about it makes you look just as bad as any misinformer. Being civil about it alos keeps you from sticking your whole foot in your mouth.

i called steve and he pretty much said he wouldn't do it if it was him
2 things I see here. 1. If Steve is even a bit weary of it, I wouldn't do it. 2. Steve being weary of it means Steve didn't sleeve it, so now I would be double weary of it. My advice to you would be to put the block up on ebay and purchase a MID LS1 case from Steve. This way you will know that you are getting the correct case/work.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

thanks beast, i am going to try and see if the guy will take it back, seeing it is not what i was told iwas getting. i was told it was an LS6 block, i appreciate everyones help.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks beast, i am going to try and see if the guy will take it back, seeing it is not what i was told iwas getting. i was told it was an LS6 block, i appreciate everyones help.
Because my first MID block wasn't done by Steve, I lost over $2500. I wouldn't even roll the dice with it, man.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

yeah, i talked to the guy and he is taking it back, i am just not comfortable with the whole 5.3 idea. he said RID did the sleeve install and that it was in a 1000+ hp car, but i still dunno
Old 02-21-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

he said RID did the sleeve install and that it was in a 1000+ hp car, but i still dunno
The first junk block (#1 sleeve improperly installed which cracked the block) I got, from an ex-sponsor, was also supposedly done at RED. That was a lie. Steve keeps the serial numbers on file of the blocks he does.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

no, it for sure wasn't steve, it was someone called RID

Quick Reply: Bought an M.I.D. block HELP!!!