Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard AFR valve srpings?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Standard AFR valve srpings?

I'm not familier with the 'standard' AFR springs, any chance they will work with a XE cam (550 lift or so) at 7100rpm? FWIW the single PSI springs on the darts (similar to 918s) work fine up to 20psi boost so far.

Or better off getting the upgrade springs, 100.00 isnt a big deal if I can find a set with them on it. Hate to overspring if I dont have to though..
Old 02-22-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the high rpm's an upgrade may be a good thing to have.

From AFR's site.

Hydraulic roller cams in "LS" Gen III engines typcially experience valve float at 6600-6800 RPM's. If you plan on running over .600 gross valve lift and/or 6600 RPM, AFR suggests you upgrade your springs to AFR part #8019. Our upgrade spring has higher seat and open pressures (155/410+) to better reduce the risk of valve float in more aggressive applications. AFR also recommends the use of Crane Billet lifters in conjunction with our 8019 spring upgrade.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I seen that on their site but I thought I read a while back that they have better standard springs now. Could be thinking of a different head though, I dont pay much attention to the head of the day stuff
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also running the AFR heads ,with thier standard spring (0.600 lift), but I am in the process of swapping out for a bit larger cam. I spec'ed out what I want with Tony Mamo, and had a custom cam ground & delivered.

The new cam's lift is just slightly under 0.600 on the Intake, barely over on the Exhuast. When I asked Tony about the springs, he did not hessitate to state Yes, they need to be upgraded!

I'll never be reving my engine above 6200rpms, but the lift of this new cam is just too close for comfort on the standard AFR spring.

So I've got the new set sitting on my kitchen table, right along with the new cam. Waiting for the weather to break before installing the new parts.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I seen that on their site but I thought I read a while back that they have better standard springs now. Could be thinking of a different head though, I dont pay much attention to the head of the day stuff
KP...

Put the upgrade spring in....especially at those RPM's.

Is it really worth the risk when you know there is a better "tool for the job" available?....Think about when the unexpected happens....missed shift, broken part, etc. and the engines screams to redline in a fraction of a second....believe me you will want the better springs in then. Nobody gives that scenario much thought or thinks it will never happen to them....but sometimes it does.

Good luck....enjoy the AFR's.

PM or call me in the event you have any questions.

Tony
Old 02-23-2007, 07:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
KP...

Put the upgrade spring in....especially at those RPM's.

Is it really worth the risk when you know there is a better "tool for the job" available?....Think about when the unexpected happens....missed shift, broken part, etc. and the engines screams to redline in a fraction of a second....believe me you will want the better springs in then. Nobody gives that scenario much thought or thinks it will never happen to them....but sometimes it does.

Good luck....enjoy the AFR's.

PM or call me in the event you have any questions.

Tony
I went ahead and got the bigger springs, its not the money - I didnt realize the upgrade springs were the 'gold' dual springs, I thought thats what they came with standard so I was a little confused. We'll see how they work next weekend..
Old 02-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The standard springs are the "gold" springs (without the gold finish).

The springs I recommended (the 8019's) are our own proprietary upgrade spring made of a similar durable (proven) material with more seat and open pressure (basically a higher spring rate).

They are better suited to more aggressive applications...

Tony
Old 02-24-2007, 09:26 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
The standard springs are the "gold" springs (without the gold finish).

The springs I recommended (the 8019's) are our own proprietary upgrade spring made of a similar durable (proven) material with more seat and open pressure (basically a higher spring rate).

They are better suited to more aggressive applications...

Tony
I'm sure either would work for me, 918s had no problem so I dont need a bunch of spring. Might have to put a bigger cam in now though

Search this Thread