Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h/c install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h/c install help

i just installed my own head and cam setup. MTI 2e heads and x1 cam. Anyways before i fired it up for the first time i disconnected the injectors and coils. when i first turned it over i heard a knockng/ ticking noise. i did not know what to think. I pluged in everything back in and fired it up thinking that the lifters were not pumped up. well i started it up and the noise was noticably loud. ran it for about 30 sec and shut it off. disconnected my fuel and ignition again and had my wife crank it over again. the noise was from the driver side really noticable under the oil filter. I did not really hear too much noise up top but really heard it down low it almosts sounds like a playing card in a bicyle spoke. I ran it a longer for about 15 minutes and it ran pretty good with my foot on the thorttle holding between 1000-2000 rpm. and now when i crank it over with out fireing it up the noise is gone, but still there when it runs it almost seems to be getting a little quieter. Any advise would be really appricated alotthe time and it really seam. I have bought new clevite lifters set and a new set of lifter trays. Could it be a weak lifter that is really stubborn to pump up or was weekend by the heaver springs. And would a lifter sound like somthing knocking on the oil pan. I am new to the ls1 motor and really need some advise and maybe some mental reassurance.

Please help
Old 02-22-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hear knocking turning it over without ignition there is something wrong and you shouldn't have started it. I'm betting you have valves hitting the pistons.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

I just helped a friend with a clutch change and had the same thing happen. There's a plastic shied on both sides of the motor between the motor and trans on the bottem, one of them got pushed into the flywheel. It gave us the same kind of sound that scared the **** out of us. Check it out, thats what it sounds like to me. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DaddySS
If you hear knocking turning it over without ignition there is something wrong and you shouldn't have started it. I'm betting you have valves hitting the pistons.
The head and cam set up was previous installed on a buddies car prior to install on to my car he went with the trick flow heads. When the car is running it runs really well. What would bad lifter sound like where would you hear it?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

hows the OIL PSI?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brad8266
hows the OIL PSI?
about 40psi, the noise only is coming from the drivers rear side of the motor the pass side and drivers front is quiet.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:48 AM
Teching In

anyone else, please anyone
Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

Did you check the plastic shields yet? They will look ok but start the car and pull it out. It's right by the oil filter.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28FirefighterI1
Did you check the plastic shields yet? They will look ok but start the car and pull it out. It's right by the oil filter.
Yah that was one of the first things that i checked, one of my buddies had that same thing happen to him with the plastic sheilds. I was wondering what would a bad lifter sound like and how can i check to see if the lifter is bad. I already ordered new lifters, lifter trays and head gaskets and would like to try to get a better idea of what i am looking for before i pull the heads and replace all of that. Thanks for all of the responses. I really appricate all of your guys time and effort with trying to help me figure it out. I wish i could buy all of you guys a beer.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Teching In

any one else, Can anyone what a bad lifter would sound like. would it sound like a lower end noise? HELP
Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

NO it won't sound like a lower end noise. It will be top end. It wound sound like you have loose rockers. It's a loud tapping sound from the valve covers. You'll here what I'm talking about when you put the new lifters in, till they pump up, there loud as hell and you won't here the cam for ****. Hope it helps.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

remove valve covers and make sure all rockers are tq'd. if they are then rotate p-rods by using fingers if they rotate something could be wrong with that valve train. u would have to remove push rod and check it. if ok then you would need to check lifter or lifters. worse, remove heads to inspect lifters. or u could have droped something in piston chanber. dont know the spec's of that cam but, did u check ptv clearance? something to think about. maybe u should pull heads and make sure nothing fell in chambers and valves are not hitting pistons etc..etc... pull heads and check.

fuerzaws6
Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Well i finally it all back together with the new clevite lifters in it and BINGO... gone. It had a little bit of noise for the first couple seconds and then quiet. Well it still has the typical valvetrain noise but the nosie is all gone. before i reinstalled the new lifters i kept track of where they came form and checked the one that i thought was the problem. Me and Trail70 took the lifter in a vise and pushed down on the lifter with a screwdriver and it got stuck down for about 45 sec. Thanks for all of the advise form everyone.