Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing oil pan

Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing oil pan

Is it possible to remove the oil pan with the engine in the car on a ls1?

Its an A4, so i wasn't sure if you need to separate the engine and tranny to do it. I used my pos stock oil pan bolts instead of paying 35 bucks for arps and snapped off one of 2 log skinny rear oil pan bolts and need to drill out the center of the bolt to tap and turn it out.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need to disconnect the motor mounts, raise the engine and probably lower the K member.

FWIW the torque on the M8 bolts is 18 ftlbs and the M6s are 109 inch pounds. Whether or not you think the stock bolts are POS, it's important to tighten them to spec.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just finished installing new oil pan gasket today. First disconnect the shocks from the Lower control arms. Disconnect the sway bar. Unbolt the brake calipers and wire it to ur upper a-arms. disconnect the motor mounts. raise your engine until u feel it hit the car. THen lower the k member. remembers to place couple jacks under the k-member. k-member is held by 6 bolts (3 on driver side, 3 on passenger side) i unbolted all the bolts but i left the front most bolts threaded at least 1 or 2 full turns. THen i lowered the jacks on the k-member till it rests on the bolts then i pushed the k-member forward enough to retrieve the oil pan. If you purchase a haynes manual, look under oil pan installation, it will tell you steps on how to remove it. BTW to makes things easier, have a helping hand. Also to get to the motor mounts with ease, i disconnected the starter, a/c compressor and bracket, and alt and its bracket.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

CaliboyTA thanks for the help

DaddySS wow I didn't realize that the skinny bolts had less torque, I am sure that is the reason why one of them is snapped in the engine, I will have to reread the haines manual on that one (yes i am stupid lol )
Old 02-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Just a follow up...
I ended up not having to take the pan all the way down since i could push it to the right and had enough room to unscrew the rest of the bolt. Mission accomplished.

Just an FYI for those looking on removing the oil pan or oil pan gasket....
The gasket really can't be taken off unless you can remove the oil pan completely. The reason is due to the oil pickup tube. It blocks the gasket from being able to be removed or installed (for those thinking of just cutting it in half)

I used an engine hoist to raise the engine off of the mounts w/ the car up on jack stands at the frame instead of on the cross member itself. Make sure to remove the jesus clip and tube going to the power steering or it will pop and go everywhere, you will need to stuff it with a cloth or something. Then i used a jack to support the cross member as i unbolted the 3 bolts on each side of the cross member but did not remove the bolts all the way, left them in about 5 full turns as a safety percaution. Then I losened the steering colum at the steering knuckle that is connected to the k member. This is just a 10 mm bolt that tightens the steering column to the power steering junction. At this point I could almost remove the entire oil pan by slowly letting the jack down on the kmember but was about 1/4 of an inch short of clearing it.

maybe someone else can explain more? Haines manual is a little vauge when it comes to this procedure unless you are tearing out the entire kmember.

Thanks all!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing oil pan