Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What lifters should I use?
Comp 850-16's
14.86%
LS7 lifters
50.00%
Cadillac Racing
35.14%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Lifter poll!!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter poll!!

Putting together a new engine, gonna have a MS4 cam and some PRC LS6 heads. What lifters should I go with? Comp Cam's 850-16's? LS7 lifters? Those Cadillac racing lifters I keep hearing about?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The caddy lifters are good.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Morel/Lunati
Old 02-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GM Hi performance lifters from SD. I think they are the ls7 lifter?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Morel here
Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

A lifters a lifter IMO, I dont see too many actually going bad.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have set of stock LS1 lifters that have 130,000 miles on them running a cam with .600 lift cam..the stock GM lifter is a pretty darn good part..the new high RPM Caddy/LS7 lifters are even better.. and they are priced right too ..
Old 02-26-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are the Caddy lifters the same as the LS7 lifters?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Are the Caddy lifters the same as the LS7 lifters?
Nope. I've not yet personally seen a LS7 or Cadillac lifter but I have compared the Comp's to a set of Morels. It was simply a Model A compared to a Enzo. The Morel's were top notch. Roller wheel was much higher polished than the Comp lifter, thickness of the Morel body was amazing compared to the thin body of the Comp, heat treating process was far superior.

From what I have personally seen, the Morels are the best out there.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have not cross referenced the part numbers but if you call the guys Scoggin-Dickey (SDPC) at 800-456-0211 (a supporting vendor) they can quote you chapter and verse on the new GM lifters ... there was a thread on here a few weeks back that discussed them in depth...

As to the above post refering to the thickness in the walls of the lifters being a selling point ... I find that not to be a reason to purchase the thick wall lifters..thicker material means heavier weight..the object of running a high performance valve train is to have reliable high RMP operation.. lighter weight is a desirable trait with those kinds of parts..titanium retainers, hollow stem valves, ect., ect. I have never heard of GM lifters crumbling because they were not strong enough..the internal parts of a lifter are what cause lifters to collapse not the outer shell of the lifter.. lighter is better ... GM did a ton of R&D on these new lifters..they have the engineers, resources, and the budget to do that kind of development ..
Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I have not cross referenced the part numbers but if you call the guys Scoggin-Dickey (SDPC) at 800-456-0211 (a supporting vendor) they can quote you chapter and verse on the new GM lifters ... there was a thread on here a few weeks back that discussed them in depth...

As to the above post refering to the thickness in the walls of the lifters being a selling point ... I find that not to be a reason to purchase the thick wall lifters..thicker material means heavier weight..the object of running a high performance valve train is to have reliable high RMP operation.. lighter weight is a desirable trait with those kinds of parts..titanium retainers, hollow stem valves, ect., ect. I have never heard of GM lifters crumbling because they were not strong enough..the internal parts of a lifter are what cause lifters to collapse not the outer shell of the lifter.. lighter is better ... GM did a ton of R&D on these new lifters..they have the engineers, resources, and the budget to do that kind of development ..
Morel has done their bit of R&D, admittingly on a smaller scale then GM but they do understand hydraulics and the loads that can be put on parts. The thickness of the lifter wall does matter. Body distortion does happen with hyd roller lifters as the rpm increases. Pressure loads on the lifters can exceed 10K of thousands of pounds per square inch. This loading can distort the walls of the lifters which inturn distort the OD of the lifter.

Weight or mass on the cam side of the valvetrain is not as critical as mass on the valve side of the rocker pivot. Stability issues in many forms of racing have been solved with heavier lifters and pushrods. It is common now for a SBC Comp engine to have 7/16" to 1/2" diameter pushrods. Much heavier then the 5/16" stuff used years ago but the larger stuff is more stabil at higher rpm and far out weights any negatives do to part mass. The Morel Top fuel lifter is 80gms heavier then any other lifter used do to the dual axle assemble it uses on the exhaust lifter but life span on this lifter is 50 X longer then anyother brand and with 5 of the last 6 years of Fuel car championships the lifter is a proven winner.

Material. The OEM lifters are castings, the Morels are from steel bar stock. Ask most on this board if they want a cast crank or a steel crank they will say steel. Morels axles and wheels are tool steel (9310 and 8620) with the OEM lifter being a 1010.

I posted this info just for that, information. The reason you pay more then double for a set of Morels is because it is a fully machined component using the best materials and it is 100% rebuildable.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much does a set of Morel's cost? This is a basic heads and cam engine that will RARELY see north of 6600...
Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Morels are nice no doubt but they are twice the money as well. I've never seen them for less than $400 delivered
Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Are the LS7 lifters going to collapse and hurt full lift at 400lbs of open pressure? What is the appropriate part number (12499225)?

Ben T.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Consider the LS7 lifters as the same as the Comps or OEM lifters in our cars. The LS7's did get some changes, but the part number is still the same as for any LS1/LT1 lifter.

If you're wanting a cam on LSK lobes with the stiffest dual or triple springs made for our heads, get the Caddy lifters. They're a bargain for ~$200, and they're probably only negligeable differences compared to the Morals that are double the price. If they haven't failed in these endurance races, they won't fail in our street/strip motors.

But if you want something more durable, you'd be better off going with a sold lifter and a cam with even more aggressive ramp rates instead of Morels.

Jason
Old 02-26-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Im rocking stock! Others seem to stay with the stockers even on .600+ lift. Though the caddy route sounds tempting.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

The GM Hi Perf lifters that SDPC is selling were tested to 8500 rpms. I dont know what the part number is? Maybe its the caddy one?

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 02-26-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

I voted for the caddies since i installed them on my car
Old 02-26-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have the part number for the caddy lifters? Looks like that is what I will go with thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Morel has done their bit of R&D, admittingly on a smaller scale then GM but they do understand hydraulics and the loads that can be put on parts. The thickness of the lifter wall does matter. Body distortion does happen with hyd roller lifters as the rpm increases. Pressure loads on the lifters can exceed 10K of thousands of pounds per square inch. This loading can distort the walls of the lifters which inturn distort the OD of the lifter.

Weight or mass on the cam side of the valvetrain is not as critical as mass on the valve side of the rocker pivot. Stability issues in many forms of racing have been solved with heavier lifters and pushrods. It is common now for a SBC Comp engine to have 7/16" to 1/2" diameter pushrods. Much heavier then the 5/16" stuff used years ago but the larger stuff is more stabil at higher rpm and far out weights any negatives do to part mass. The Morel Top fuel lifter is 80gms heavier then any other lifter used do to the dual axle assemble it uses on the exhaust lifter but life span on this lifter is 50 X longer then anyother brand and with 5 of the last 6 years of Fuel car championships the lifter is a proven winner.

Material. The OEM lifters are castings, the Morels are from steel bar stock. Ask most on this board if they want a cast crank or a steel crank they will say steel. Morels axles and wheels are tool steel (9310 and 8620) with the OEM lifter being a 1010.

I posted this info just for that, information. The reason you pay more then double for a set of Morels is because it is a fully machined component using the best materials and it is 100% rebuildable.

If I were running a top fuel dragster I would consider the best parts available no matter what the cost..but since I am talking about a dailey driver street car running a hyd. lifters in a .600 more or less lift street cam I am all in on the OEM lifters..I have 130,00 miles on a set of LS1s running dual springs on a .600 lift cam with no problems..the new ones that GM offers are better than the orginal LS1 lifters too .. you can spend all kinds of money unnessarily on these motors and never make 1 more HP.. the stock LS1 lifters have proven to be very good and very dependable for me ... not to mention having been wound countless times to 6800 rpms and are still going strong. I fail to see any reason to spend twice the money to get to the same place performance and reliability wise with a aftermarket lifter. If we were all the same it would be a dull world...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lifter poll!!