Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Crate or not to Crate?...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To Crate or not to Crate?...

Well, like some of you already know I pretty much blew up my 1999 WS6 LS1 350 block by downshifting from 5th to 2nd at 70mph. The piston heads have gouges in them, bent 5 pushrods and the passenger side head valves are bent and the car has a total of 140k miles. I know for a fact I'm going to have to pull the engine and either 1) rebuild it from scratch with new pistons, rings valves, cam etc or 2) would it be more practical to look at buying a turn key crate engine? Should I now just make my WS6 a street car and get a 427 c.i. block with heads and already dyno tuned and place it in? If I do such a radical change to the car, will I need an upgraded T56 tranny (it was already rebuilt by T56rebuilds.com). I just need some input before I start doing the rebuild that way I know which is a more practical route to go with my car.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Hello 427... If you have the cash go for it. I say to be practical would be to build your own engine back up, given the block is still good. But if you have the funds, it'd be tempting to take the easy route and get it turn-key. But witht the money saved by building it yourself, you could afford that transmission upgrade you mentioned. Either option would be sweet. Just my .02

Jeremy
Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

rebuild your own engine with stock parts (except for cam pushrods and springs no harm in used also) and port the heads for $300-$400 or less by doing it yourself .....

or buy a junkyard engine

what ever cheaper .... and after you master the shifting method and do more shifting and racing without a problem then get a stroker and heads and cam if you want ....

I have a friend that bent his stock pushrods 4-6 times and the last time was by his brother (for his sake) .... get a shifter or something and practice....put ls6 springs atleast and raise your rev limiter (not that you should shift at higher than 6300 rpm)
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, 427 cubic inches is a hefty penny.
How bout you build an iron block 408? Or, you could throw a stroker crank in your LS1 and rebuild it and have a 383 stroker. It depends on how long you see yourself with the car, what your goals are, etc.