Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

317 head build up

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 317 head build up

Ok so i have a set of 2003 317 casting heads milled .015 and im going to install some manley dual springs and titanium retainers. I was told that an ordinary screw type valve springs compressor wont work with the dual springs, is this true? The heads are off the motor btw. Also since ill have to change the seats ill have to change the seals as well wont i? I believe that the seat and seal are one piece. What years had the seat and seals as one piece? Im building a 2003 6.0 liter with ls1 dressing so i need the correct year camaro gasket set to get. One other question is do I need to worry about shimming the springs at all? I was thinking about getting a 228r or something close to that for a cam. The car will eventually have longtubes but will have stock 6.0 liter manifolds temporarely so i dont think i should go too big. Any help would be great. Thanks

also with them being milled .015 what size chamber does that come out to?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

back up....
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Teching In

I am looking at a set of 317's. I would would like to know the answer to your question about the milling.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had them milled bring the compression on my LQ4 up. I just dont have any way of contacting the shop that did them to see what they came out to
Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

up up up up
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 92zcamaroperson
Ok so i have a set of 2003 317 casting heads milled .015 and im going to install some manley dual springs and titanium retainers. I was told that an ordinary screw type valve springs compressor wont work with the dual springs, is this true? The heads are off the motor btw. Also since ill have to change the seats ill have to change the seals as well wont i? I believe that the seat and seal are one piece. What years had the seat and seals as one piece? Im building a 2003 6.0 liter with ls1 dressing so i need the correct year camaro gasket set to get. One other question is do I need to worry about shimming the springs at all? I was thinking about getting a 228r or something close to that for a cam. The car will eventually have longtubes but will have stock 6.0 liter manifolds temporarely so i dont think i should go too big. Any help would be great. Thanks

also with them being milled .015 what size chamber does that come out to?
I'm not 100% sure and correct me if I'm wrong but having them milled .015 should put you at 66cc but the only way to be sure is to measure the chamber. If you are buying aftermarket valve springs and retainers it is probably a good idea to purchase the spring cup locaters for them as well.
Manly makes a set that match their springs but they are a little bit pricey. Usually double springs will not fit with the stock one piece spring seat and seal. When I bought my Manley Nextek springs and matching retianers they needed further machining. They wanted you to put a chamfer on the inside diameter of the inner and outer spring as well as chamfer the retainers.

Are you having a valve job done? You wont know if you need to shim the springs until after your valve job and after you check installed height. You need to have your retainers and your spring cups in order to check your final installed height.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

sooo....is the installed height dependant on the lift of the cam i choose? I have a feeling im going to be taking everything to the machine shop i use and have him put it all on. I have the spring seats for the springs. I just dont know what i need to do with the seals

Quick Reply: 317 head build up