Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished my cam install

Old 03-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished my cam install

A buddy of mine and I (he's a Cobra owner, let's not hold that against him) just finished replacing the cam / springs and everything that goes with it. Here are my impressions:

1. The write up on LS1howto.com is great, with the exception that we took out the water pump after we took out the radiator as space was an issue there.

2. The oil pump replacement was difficult, especially the bolt on the pickup. We dropped the bolt into the pan twice. Thank the maker for pen magnets from O'Reilly's.

3. Get the extended balancer bolt. We didn't and it cost us at least a half hour (not too bad) in time trying to get deal with the pulley.

4. I hate cylinder #8 on the spring(s) swap.

5. Used the spring tool that is made by a board member. Worked very well, you just have to adjust for the spring being compressed in a slightly off center way. If you do this, you can accommodate and get the valve locks to seat very easily.

6. We used the pen magnet method during the cam install, and it worked very well for us. We were able to get some very sturdy magnets that telescope, helping in other situations. (see oil pump above)

We installed a comp cam 224/224 112lsa +4; after starting her up and heat cycling the springs, I can honestly say she sounds like a whole new car. A few days of shaking down the valvetrain for anything out of the ordinary and I'll try to get some audio.

Overall we worked for two evenings and got her up and running tonight. It was a true learning experience and I can't wait to see how she'll run with the new cam. Thanks to all the members who contribute to the everyday posts about cams and installs, as your insights were invaluable!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good job it felt great when i got my h/c all done .. IMO i think your going to want a bigger cam once you realize how well that one will drive
Old 03-01-2007, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few shop rags stuffed in the front of the pan catch the bolt if you drop it so you don't have to go fishing. They are also helpful in the heads during a spring change just in case you drop on of the keepers.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Teching In

What is the # of the cam you used?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

nice job i just got done and took me a week with like 3 hours working each day.. i got g5x3 and man that **** wont stay on lol
Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

good job, enjoy!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Teching In

I removed the radiator before the water pump also, made it alot easier. Also, for me it was much easier to move the ac cond. down instead of up. Congrats!

Oh and my friend that helped me is also a mustang owner. He even came over wearing a Ford shirt
Old 03-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Finally, not sure what you mean by cam number. Which are you looking for?

Thanks all, I've been babying her to make sure the springs are ready (just to be safe), and the next nice day I'm gonna see how she performs. Give it a week or two and then, tuning.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

congrats!!! enjoy the cam!!!! that is an excellent cam!!!

Search this Thread