Default Pick my cam, converter, gear.

MAX EFFORT...Car will be 95% track.

Weight will be around 3200lbs
TH350 with brake
TNT F2 150 shot
Stage 2 5.3 heads
stock LS6 shortblock
Full bolt-ons

I am thinking T-Rex V2 or G5X-3 and roughly a 4400 stall.
I have been out of the game for awhile so I am open for suggestions!

-Nick
Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for 95% track I'd do the following:
2800lbs raceweight
AFR 225s ETP 225s
Huge hydraulic cam
4500-5000 stall
4.10 hears
300 shot

However, you do realize how ridiculous you sound, right?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT THIS

No, actually you sound like a ***** and an idiot. This project has a budget and if I am using a STOCK bottom end why would I shoot a 300 SHOT out of a TNT system? If I already have a set of heads sitting around why would I buy new EXPENSIVE heads?

Thanks for coming out!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

FMS14 and 4000 stall, 27"+ tire 4.11 gear

= low 11s on motor
Old 03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Well let me try and answer your questions in your previous post about my first post to clear things up for you..

1. You said max effort. Not the max effort with the parts I already have.
2. You didn't say you were on a budget. You said max effort and that you were open to all suggestions.
3. You didn't say you were on a stock bottom end and I assumed a track car would be built like one. I apologize for that one.
4. I offered up the heads as a "max effort" setup because you said that you were open to all suggestions. Apparently, you are not open to all suggestions and I'm sorry. Maybe if you were more specific you might get more feedback. But the "pick all my ****" threads usually end up in 15 responses with links to the search function.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why you would use 5.3 heads in a max effort setup. With the stall you'll need, may as well go all out on the heads for max high rpm power.

I don't know that the X3 is enough to get it done, but the X4 seems to be showing decent results. 4.30 gears and a 28" tall tire are good for mid 130's in the 1/4.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:25 PM
MASS seller approved

Well for 95% track I'd do the following:
2800lbs raceweight
AFR 225s ETP 225s
Huge hydraulic cam
4500-5000 stall
4.10 hears
300 shot

dudue your the one sounding like an idot who cant make up your mind on a set up and you just want to carbon fiber everything like your interior
Old 03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Well let me try and answer your questions in your previous post about my first post to clear things up for you..

1. You said max effort. Not the max effort with the parts I already have.
2. You didn't say you were on a budget. You said max effort and that you were open to all suggestions.
3. You didn't say you were on a stock bottom end and I assumed a track car would be built like one. I apologize for that one.
4. I offered up the heads as a "max effort" setup because you said that you were open to all suggestions. Apparently, you are not open to all suggestions and I'm sorry. Maybe if you were more specific you might get more feedback. But the "pick all my ****" threads usually end up in 15 responses with links to the search function.
1. Why would I change the parts I already have? I think if I list the parts that means I will NOT be changing them or I would have said, "Build me a max effort car from the ground up."

2. Seriously, this is a track car for fun. I'll use it once a month I want it to be as fast as possible with what I can work with. I would be a fool to dump a boatload into it. With what I asked I am not really on a budget because the asked for parts are not crazy expensive.

3. Yes I did. If I can get a car with a stock shortblock to run 10's is it a track car by your standards ?? Please inform me of your definition of a track car and how to build one. Mine is a car that is used mainly on the drag strip and built for that purpose, i.e. 3-speed, numerically high gear, lack of radio...etc.

4. I didn't say pick ALL my ****. I would say I was pretty specific, I asked for opinions on cams, gears, and converters.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

anyways guys back to what we all love and talk about cars not how your manpon needs to be changed. if you are using 5.3 heads be careful with the t-rex. i run that can and i was told not to use 5.3 heads. i would look at maybe the trak cam from thunder racing because it will work good with nitrous and use a 4200 stall. also for the nitrous 3.90 gears or 3.73 are really good with a 27x10.5 tire. you can still get out of the hole quickly but not run out of gear at the top end.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hammertime
Not sure why you would use 5.3 heads in a max effort setup. With the stall you'll need, may as well go all out on the heads for max high rpm power.
I'll get the numbers on the heads, I dont remember them off the top of my head. They are pretty good heads though and I got a extremely good deal on them.

This project does have a budget, the car is not going to get that much use so I really do not want to dump boatloads of cash into it. I bought the car new for $24,000 and it now has 40K miles it and has been sitting for almost 3 years. I just want to get it finished and rip off some 10 second runs.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Well depending on what the valve sizes are the 5.3s it will be tough to go giant on the cam unless you are willing to flycut or run dished pistons. If stock valves, I'd stay MS3 sized unless you want to flycut for safety. You could also talk to Patrick G on here. He is the cam Messiah and will spec you a custom one for your application for $20.

Stall, gearing, suspension and weight reduction are going to be big too. Try and shed a couple hundred more off if possible. There's a list in the drag section. Might want to look into the aftermarket a-arm and k-members. That would save you a lot of weight up front. Same with battery relocation, ac removal, ps, heater, ws fluid resevoir, new hood, drag brake kit, weld draglites w/ skinnies. If you are more hardcore, almost 200lbs can be removed with the carpet/insulation, speakers/panels, seats to kirkeys, no backseats or belts. Maybe even a lexan rear hatch glass.

Stall I'd really try to go with a 4400-5000 stall. I daily drive my Fuddle 4400 with 2.5 STR and can handle it. It takes some getting used to but I think you could drive it to the track and still take it on a cruise every now and then. Gearing is another biggie. Run a big 27in tire and get 4.10s. If you find yourself losing rpm at the end of the 1/4 you can always get a taller tire. I'd also look into a full suspension upgrade to get the power to the ground.

Sorry for being a dick earlier too by the way. I've been treated shitty on this forum by people and it sucks. I was in a bad mood earlier but its no excuse. Good luck with your build
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Launching!

I have already removed: PS, AC, heater, fluid resevoir, radio & speakers, bumper supports and have BMR A-arms, K-member. I also have draglites with skinnies and I think 28" ET drags.

I will be going with full BMR susp and will relocate the battery. I want to keep the interior carpet. The stock seats will eventually get replaced.

Roll cage is a custom 10pt cromoly.

Thank you for being a stand up guy. This place can be brutal at times.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Launching!

I will cut the pistons, i am guessing I will have to with a big cam.

What are the drawbacks of using a good set of 5.3 heads Vs 5.7 heads if both are ported the same? Just the clearance?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DETROIT_AREA_00_SS
I will cut the pistons, i am guessing I will have to with a big cam.

What are the drawbacks of using a good set of 5.3 heads Vs 5.7 heads if both are ported the same? Just the clearance?
Give Rick a call over at Livernois Motorsports on Michigan Ave. You'll be glad you
did!!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Stock bottom end: do you have an rpm limit that you are trying to stick to?

Will you be able to spray out of hole (i.e adequate suspension and tires)?

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 03-05-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Stock bottom end: do you have an rpm limit that you are trying to stick to?

Will you be able to spray out of hole (i.e adequate suspension and tires)?

The car will be able to be sprayed out of the hole.

RPM: Depends on what the cam needs.

The weak link of the whole car will be the stock bottom end. Once it is up and running I'd like to start working on a 408 or so.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

I disagree. Nothing against Rick, just the company he works for.
Originally Posted by Irish Whiskey
Give Rick a call over at Livernois Motorsports on Michigan Ave. You'll be glad you
did!!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94strokedz
I disagree. Nothing against Rick, just the company he works for.
Ouch thats pretty rough...