Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Problem.....HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pressure Problem.....HELP.

Alright, I finally got the motor reassembled and put back in the car. I fired it up, and let it idle for 20 sec. or so. Oil pressure was around 15 psi and didn't seem to climb very much. After reading up on the problem, I assumed it was a pinched O'ring so I tore it down and pulled off the front cover to find that nothing seemed off. I put it all back together hoping that maybe I would just get lucky and it would build up after taking it apart and reassembling it. I got everything back together and fired it up. After about 5 sec, the gauge didn't move a bit so I shut it off.....I just put a new higher flow slp oil pump on it. Bearing clearances were fine on the motor, although from what I am told that would have little to do with startup oil pressure. Any Ideas on what the problem might be? I am running out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is that the oil pressure sensor might be bad, but I figured when they went bad, they didn't work at all, not just registered low oil pressure. Any ideas? This has me strung out......

~Paul
Old 03-05-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Possibly the oil pressure senser. Does the pressure rise when the rpm's go up?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

I didn't run it long enough the second time to find out. Being as it was registering no pressure at all, I didn't want to try reving it at all... But before it would raise to only about 25 psi at 4k rpms and it idled at around 10-15 psi.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

25 @ 4K is way to low.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

well you said the second time you started it that it didnt register any pressure, so i would try and replacing the sensor first.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:36 PM

Does the fuel pump in our cars require oil pressure to stay energized like earlier GM vehicles?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would check the sensor first, then consider looking at that o-ring again.

Even though you checked it twice, there's a slim chance it's still not sitting right. Those things seem to be picky when you're installing. I was a nervous wreck when I put mine back together on the H/C install.

I guess the last thing I'd do is replace the pump.

And as far as I know, the fuel pump doesn't need an oil pressure signal. Could be wrong though, but being that the PCM doesn't need to see oil pressure, I'd be surprised if the fuel pump needed it.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Before you go out and buy all new stuff, ya might take a look at the oil pick-up tube and make sure it doesn't have any trash or obstructions in it. After I did my h/c install I had what sounds like the same problem. I replaced the oil pump and the o-ring and the sending unit(whick is just a elcetrical reading, no mechanical part) and come to find out some how I got a paper towel in there and plugged it up. Took off the pan and the tube ran water through the tube back-wards and reinstalled. That was my problem....after wasting $300!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok.. You got my interest.. How did the paper towel get there in the 1st place ?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

I figured it out. When I took my block to the machine shop they removed the oil galley plug from the rear of the block and didn't put it back it. I failed to notice this, so I dropped the tranny/clutch today then removed the rear cover and sure enough, it was missing the plug. Frequent problem from what I hear and it took me forever to figure it out. Thanks for everyone's help!