Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR TRAK cam???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TR TRAK cam???

hey guys just got my cam today in the mail and it's getting put in next week. I've talked to the tech guys at thunder and they all say that .644 lift on the intake side won't cause any clearance problems. but with that much lift it seems hard to believe. The car hasn't had any internal mods so it's just stock setup. If anyone has installed this cam or has any info on it please reply.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Hey, almost done installing mine on a stock motor. From what i can see by rotating it by hand no clearance problems. I plan on finishing up this weekend (hopefully)! Rotating it by hand is in no way a good way to check clearance. So i will keep my fingers crossed. I think Patrick G has had this cam in his car and it sounded really great. I had a hard time myself finding info on this cam as well. But from what TR told me it is good grind for fly-by-wire cars. Good luck with your install and please post some vid, because they way my week is going yours will be done before mine.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 PM

It only has a ~232 degree intake lobe with really quick lobes so ptv clearance shouldn't be that bad... I'd go so far as to say not to even worry about it for a stock motor.

This has been posted countless times, but it's DURATION that limits the clearance between the pistons and the valves and not lift. Peak lift does not occur when the piston is at TDC anyway.

Ben T.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Studytime
It only has a ~232 degree intake lobe with really quick lobes so ptv clearance shouldn't be that bad... I'd go so far as to say not to even worry about it for a stock motor.

This has been posted countless times, but it's DURATION that limits the clearance between the pistons and the valves and not lift. Peak lift does not occur when the piston is at TDC anyway.

Ben T.
What he said...

Make sure you have some really good springs that can handle that much lift. If you have an otherwise stock engine, the Trak cam will fit fine.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 PM

... and is a really fine choice for a stock motor. Member "HOSS" dyno'd 430 at the wheels with this grind cam-only in a stock 130K mile motor.

Ben T.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Teching In

... and is a really fine choice for a stock motor. Member "HOSS" dyno'd 430 at the wheels with this grind cam-only in a stock 130K mile motor.

Ben T.
Thanks for the info, i was really curious what the dyno numbers would be. I bought PRC double springs for mine. I have only found two sound clips of this cam, if anybody has any please post. thx!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Those springs may not work WELL with that cam. I hope you got the "platinum" dual coil springs. Just because they springs will accomodate the appropriate amount of lift (gold springs) doesn't mean they'll provide enough pressure to control the valves. With that being said, I wouldn't run the standard PRC dual coil springs with those LSK lobes. They would have told you the same thing if you would have asked at Thunder.

Ben T.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Those springs may not work WELL with that cam. I hope you got the "platinum" dual coil springs. Just because they springs will accomodate the appropriate amount of lift (gold springs) doesn't mean they'll provide enough pressure to control the valves. With that being said, I wouldn't run the standard PRC dual coil springs with those LSK lobes. They would have told you the same thing if you would have asked at Thunder.

Ben T.
Thanks Ben for the reply, i am pretty sure they are good for .660 lift (patriot extreme?=PRC). I got them from texas speed, and spoke to the sales rep he assured me that they were well suited for that cam. I also got a blue printed pump, chain, asp UD pulley, and 7.4 CM pushrods.
That was my concern as well, tried calling thunder 3 times and sat on hold for ever, so i gave up. Mind wrecking picking critical engine components. spent alot of time reading up on this cam, so i hope it really pays off.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive heard that cam on a couple cars in person, and the sound = instant hard-on.

Trust me, you will love it. If my car wasnt a DD, that would be the first cam id look at.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have this cam in my car and i love it...i have had a 224r cam and a MS3 before and this feels way better all around. Its the happy median

on another note, i tried to run the cam with the patriot golds, and even though they were good to .650 lift i was getting valve float...so i ordered the patriot extremes and no more problem.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Little-Chewy-69 did you get your cam installed yet?

Finished mine on Sunday and this thing rocks!
What he said make sure you get the extreme springs!
Car at idle is insane, actually knocked a picture off the wall in my living room. I wish i could post a sound clip for you guys. Unfortunately it is snowing again, and you cant hear much inside the garage with my camera. Car was a bit noisey at startup, for about 10 secs. and cleared up, most likely lifters. Oil presure came right up with in a couple of seconds. Surprised valve train noise is minimal. Actually idles pretty well without stalling on a rev. This cam has a real nice lump to it, diffinetly pleased and happy it all paid off. Only issue i ran into was a air pocket in the cooling system. Hopefully will have tuning done when the weather warms up by EastSide Performance. I also thought about a mail order from thunder?
I will diffinetly post some video soon, and dyno results when the weather warms up.