Synthetic Oils...Royal Purple v Mobil 1 v Redline

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Synthetic Oils...Royal Purple v Mobil 1 v Redline

From Red Line's web site..

DRAIN INTERVALS
Red Line stands alone in the ability to provide extended drain intervals and lower friction and wear. Red Line Synthetic oils have been shown to last 25,000 miles in field tests; however we recommend shorter drain intervals in order to provide a margin of safety with the oil. We recommend draining the oil between 12,000 and 18,000 miles depending on the type of service and the degree of blow-by gases contaminating the oil. High-speed freeway driving is easy on the oil due to its excellent thermal stability. If the engine is worn and if considerable stop-and-go driving is involved, 10,000-12,000 mile drains are suggested. A good rule of thumb to follow is to change the oil at least once a year regardless the mileage. Manufacturers warranty requirements should be followed while under warranty. Filters can be changed every 5,000 to 7,500 miles in order to assure filter durability is not a problem. Red Line makes a 15W40 Diesel Engine Oil for diesel engines. The diesel engine oils contain significantly greater detergency and total base number (TBN) which helps keep the engine clean. This additional detergency is not recommended for gasoline engines since it could increase the tendency for spark plug fouling. Even though the Red Line Motor Oils meet the specifications for diesel engines, the Diesel Engine Oil should be used where extended drains (10,000 miles +) are required.

Sounds good...has anybody done it?
Old 09-05-2002, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

I like Redline the best, but I liked Royal Purple better than Mobil 1.

I change my Redline every 5,000 or so miles.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the oil analysis results on this forum below:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...=100&submit=Go

There are tests in there on all three of those oils mentioned (and many more too) I'll let you decide what you think is best.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Default Synthetic Oils...Royal Purple v Mobil 1 v Redline

I've been thinking about switching from M1 5w30 to either the RP or Red Line 5w30. More for a cost savings point of view but I do not want to sacrifice any protection.

So, can anyone definitively prove that RP 5w30 is better than M1? RP seems to be less expensive but does it give better protection or longer drain intervals?

Red Line claims I can run their 5w30 for 10,000 miles before I need a change. Has anyone tried this? I run my M1 4,000 miles now. I do drive approximately 85% highway miles, cruising at 80mph in 6th gear.

If I could extend the drain intervals to 8K with Red Line I would switch or if RP is determined to be a better oil than M1 I would switch.

Don't want opinions....but if you have some facts let me have them.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oils...Royal Purple v Mobil 1 v Redline