Sponsored by:

Cam selection advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam selection advice please

Hey everyone,

I'm still pretty new to the LS1 world. I only have the most minor bolt on mods only, as you can see. However, it's build up time this summer.

In addition to a cam, I'll also be doing the Pacesetter long tubes (still deciding on what ORY, but thats another thread) and dyno tune.

My LT1 ran a hot cam because I had no plan for heads. However, I am going to do heads, but probably not this year. I would likely go with Patriot Stage IIs.

My goals: Pre-heads, I guess I would like to hit 375+ rwhp, if possible, on a cam/header/tuned car. Once I go with heads, I would like to try and push 450+ rwhp (obviously re-tuned and more supporting mods)

The car is an M6. It is an everyday driver year round. I plan on doing mostly street driving, with an autocross orientation (will get supporting suspension mods), but something still respectable at the strip. I would probably prefer something in the mid-rpm power band with a balanced torque curve. I don't think I wanna rev much higher then 6200 on stock internals until I go with a stroker.

So with that info, I'd appreciate if you could throw some cam ideas at me. If you have any questions please let me know. I've have searched around, but of course every person looks for something different.

Also, PLEASE suggest everything else you would think I would need. Obviously springs are a must. Pushrods? Lifters? Retainers? etc. The car only has 41k miles on it, and it runs beautifully, very strong.

As always, I appreciate your help
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 220/224 109 109 would give you a very strong midrange for autocross and be done by 6200.

BTW, This is for stock heads. IMO, trying to use 1 cam for pre/post heads is a mistake unless it is for a very short time.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 03-13-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

I would suggest a TR228R (Thunder Racing) and a set of 5.3 stage 2 heads, that should give you the power you are looking for and keep it real tame on the street, as for springs since the lift on that cam is I think .581 you can use comp 918's, pushrod just get a set of 7.4 comps, you should be fine with stock lifters, when you get springs get the kit and it will come with seats, retainers, locks, springs, and seals averything you should need. When you do the swap make sure you get a new crank bolt, sorry I don't remember the specs of the top of my head.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Well, I wasn't planning on doing heads for another year.

I was looking to get something in the .580ish lift range for now, as that would be decent on stock heads and could expand well with new ones.

Decent idea?