Compression test results... burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Compression test results... burning oil

Passenger side
Front - 175-180ish
middle front - 170-175ish couldnt get tester real tight on this one dipstick was kinda in the way
middle rear - 175-180 ish
rear - 180ish

Drivers side
Front - 170 - 175ish
middle front - 180 - 185ish
middle rear - 178 - 179
rear - 182 183

Not bad, I was kinda hoping it would be a little better, but with 39K miles I would say its pretty good. There was 1 low one on each side, the passenger side 2nd one back because I couldn't get a good grip and tighten the thing, and the front one on the drivers side because I'm lazy and didn't feel like pulling the alternator to get a real good grip on the thing. I'm satisfied with the results, now to figure out why I'm burning oil. Gonna change my valve stem seals too. I was thinking of coverting to an LS6 PCV system, but I have a catch can with an inline filter after the can to catch vapors, and there isn't much in there so I don't really think that's my problem.

Now to change these pesky seals... do you have to keep the compressor running the whole time? I've always done the TDC method, but I don't feel like tearing everything apart to get to the front of the engine. Stupid C5's and their stupid steering racks....