Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP Hot Cam vs. T-rex or MS4 experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GMPP Hot Cam vs. T-rex or MS4 experience?

I've searched, and can't find anything specific.

I'd like to hear some first hand experience from those that have comparison info from the GMPP Hot Cam compared to a T-rex, MS4, or ?? cam.

Stock LS1 shortblock, CNC ported LS6 heads, LS6 intake, A4 with 4500 lock up capable converter, can use any gear ratio, 3400 with driver

Car is regularly driven, but is more of a dedicated race car as far as purpose.

Not really looking for opinions based on what people have read or "brand X is better period" comments, I'm really looking for people with direct first hand experience between the GMPP cam and others. I'd just like to see how the GMPP cam stacks up against the others because the specs are so much different than the others.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not from first hand experience with those "exact" cams, but I did have 3 different cams in my last Z. Comparing the Hotcam to the other 2 is like comparing a chihuaha to a rottweiler.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDPZ28
not from first hand experience with those "exact" cams, but I did have 3 different cams in my last Z. Comparing the Hotcam to the other 2 is like comparing a chihuaha to a rottweiler.

That's what I'm looking for......... pelase give any specifics you can on what you replaced it with, dyno numbers, ect.

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said, I didn't have any of those exact cams but here is what I got.
The TR224 would be closest to the hotcam. The other 2(fm13 and g5x2 are still not as big as the Trex or ms4)

Blue: G5X2 dynoed in 90+ degree humid weather.
Red: FM13
Green: TR224
all cams on 112 lsa
Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

If you want an all out (Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Injected) race car then the Hot Cam is not for you. It has negative overlap at .050 and will Idle slightly "harder" then a stock Corvette Z06.

The MS4 is a good cam, plenty of overlap, not a whole lot of split, works great with heads and a good exhaust, I think this is your best choice, and can be had for little money from TSP when paired with their CNC stage 1 heads, it'll give you about 430rwhp with the right supporting mods, have a look in the dyno section.

The T-Rex, as it's name suggests, is a monster. It's the most power you can make with stock cylinder heads, without going to a custom cam grind. If all you want is power up top (above 4,000 rpm) then this is the cam for you. You'd probably want to go with some 4.30 gears for this cam to keep it in it's powerband at the 1/4 mile but your first couple of gears will be useless on the street (no traction).

Look in the dyno section for the numbers you want and then cross check the video section for the idle quality you can tollerate.

Hope this helps
AJ
Old 03-19-2007, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hotcam was good for me since I got it so damn cheap. Turned around and sold it to a buddy for a little less than I paid, hey, it got me into the low 12's consistently without having to beat on it, and I didn't need a tune. I've heard nothing but good things about the magic stick as well as the tr224, especially on a relatively stock engine.