Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem damage????

Old 03-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve stem damage????

Ok, Here's the deal. I bought the MS4 cam package from TSP. I was installing the first two springs when I noticed that I had compressed them too far and put notches on the valve stems. My question is, Do I sand them down and forget about it or is a new valve in my future?? If I sand it down there will still be an indention. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of fix or problem?? If so, what was the outcome. I don't want to be burning oil like crazy. Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a photo? The valves are hardened, hard to think you could have "dented" them, I would think they would bend first.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

For the spring compressor I was using Tim's tool and the more you compress with it, the harder it wants to pull the spring and retainer in towards the valve stem. I guess it really didn't dent the stem. It actually started to cut into it, leaving a ridge where it stopped. I've sanded the ridges down but now there appears to be an indention where it dug in and I sanded.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

I've been doing a little reading up on here and it seems if it is the exhaust valve that there should be less chance of oil consumption due to the lack of vacum. The intake valve is a different story. So if I was looking at the passenger side valves from that side is the intake on the left or right??? Is the drivers side the same way??
Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3fourty6
I've been doing a little reading up on here and it seems if it is the exhaust valve that there should be less chance of oil consumption due to the lack of vacum. The intake valve is a different story. So if I was looking at the passenger side valves from that side is the intake on the left or right??? Is the drivers side the same way??
It's inline w/ the exhaust manifold.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

compression or leakdown test time...
Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
compression or leakdown test time...
Not sure if this will tell anything. Based on his description it sounds like these marks are high enough on the valve stem that they are above the valve seal. Need pictures to know for sure, but he may damage his valve seals without correcting this, that's assuming the dent passes through the valve seal when the valve opens.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not sure if this will tell anything. Based on his description it sounds like these marks are high enough on the valve stem that they are above the valve seal. Need pictures to know for sure, but he may damage his valve seals without correcting this, that's assuming the dent passes through the valve seal when the valve opens.
My thinking was that if he cranked down on these hard enough to dent the hardened valve stem tip, he probably cranked the valve down into the pistons and could have bent them.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

That may be too. Either way, I wouldn't just button it back up.

Search this Thread