Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

summer project (H/C) advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summer project (H/C) advice

Am looking to do some much anticipated work this summer and was looking for some advice before i order my parts: here is relevant info

Car: 99' Ram Air m6

Current mods:
LT headers (kooks)
Lanes True Duals
lid
sfc's (BMR)
panhard bar (BMR)

Planned for summer:
Fast 90/90
PRC 2.5 heads + TSP cam (TSP H/C package includes pushrods and oil pump)
moser 9" (posi, 411 gears)
torgue arm (BMR extreme duty)
Boxed control arms (BMR)
NX nitrous kit (100-150 shot)
DYNO TUNE

Goals:
Car is 98% street driven DD, with one or two track appearances a year. needs to be reliable, with little maintence. Do not plan to spray very often, and will probably leave the bottle out of the car the majority of the time. Want 450 RWHP NA. and mid-low 12s 1/4 mile. *Only want to pay for a tune once.

Comments/advice/questions:
1: The biggest decision is obviously what cam to buy. Was thinking TSP V.3, but definately open for suggestions. Should i go with a less agressive cam for reliability purposes?

2: Do I actually need to go with the 9"? the biggest concern is busting my 10 bolt and having to do another tune to accomodate more agressive gearing.

3: Nitrous necessary? If i wait to do nitrous, will I have to have the car retuned when I do install it. Also, wet v. dry with this setup?

4: clutch? I really would prefer to not launch the car and make the stock clutch last as long as possible. Any chance of it holding up for more than 6 months if I don't launch?

5: Engine components. Should i invest in a valvetrain upgrade to insure reliability, or is it not necessary?

6: Anything I am forgetting? Anything suggestions to make more reliable?

Thanks for any help. It has been a 18 months or so since i have been on the website, and this is what i came up with after a few hours.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

No opinions? ttt
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Match the cam to the heads you plan to buy. Also, figure out what characterisitics you want the car to have...huge top end, good mid-range, good driveability, etc. Re: the Torquer V3, I just helped install one of these this past weekend in a friends car. Sounded good and so far, seems to have good driveability.

2. 9" is obviously a good, strong choice. But, unless you plan on launching the car on slicks every weekend at the track, you probably could get by on your 10 bolt for a while. Another option would be a well built 12 bolt. The choice is really up to you and your budget.

3. Not much to say about spray...haven't had much experience with spray.

4. Stock clutch would probably last for a bit, but eventually you'll need to upgrade it.

5. Obviously you'll need new PRs, but depending on mileage, you could possibly get by with your stock lifters and rockers. If high mileage, I'd opt for new lifters (Comps or Caddy Racing lifters) and aftermarket rockers. Another option is to have your stock rockers rebuilt by Harland.

6. Looks good overall...but, I'm sure you'll forget something. I always do!

Good luck!