Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help on my valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need help on my valves

I juts installed a set of crane roller rockers and now I am hearing a ticking sound. When I first cranked the motor, it ran but had a misfire on the drivers side. After searching for a while, I finally found the problem. With a compression tester I found no.3 exhaust cracked open on the base circle. The adj. nut was a 1/4 turn tighter than all the rest on that side. I loosend it to match the others, poly lock flush with the top of the adj. nut, and it ran smooth, no miss. Today, I hear a faint ticking just like before with the miss, but much softer. Could all of my valves be cracked ever so slightly, and how would I tell? It runs stronger than before, but that noise wasn't there before . Please help
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

what size push rod?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like your adjustment is off. When you go to zero lash, you have to be very gentle on lifting the rocker nose until the "tap" "tap" just goes away. That is the most critical part of the procedure. Did you do 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 turns after zero? If you were off a bit at zero lash then the 1-3/4 would have a higher liklihood of hanging the valves open. Don't drive it until you check so you don't burn a valve.

A compression test would tell you if the valves were hanging open.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

I went by the instructions, and they call for 2 full turns after zero lash. How would a compressiion test tell. Wouldnt a leak down tester tell, or would the lifters bleed down enough to let the valves close on down. If I was making compression on the compression tester how would I know how much I should be making? they are 5/16 I think, whatever size came with the kit.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Oh, what exactly is a burnt valve and what does it do.