Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak after h/c/i swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant leak after h/c/i swap

Well when I did my H/C/I swap we used cometic gaskets. To make this a long story short after a few heat cycles my drivers side head mysteriously started leaking coolant on the #1 cylinder I belive is next to the power steering pump. I thought it was a blown head gasket or the head gasket didnt seal since cometics are a PITA. Upon taking the intake off the intake port on the head was completely full of coolant and actually looked like some was in the FAST intake at one point. The first time around we completely cleaned all the bolt holes out so I dont think theres any cracks somewhere in the block. After the 1st leak we got some new cometics/arp head bolts and sprayed the gaskets with some of that copper sealant crap. Went through 1 heat cycle and started leaking again. The heads are fresh heads supposedly have been milled/pressure checked ect. How in the hell could this leak be happening and from where. The heads are at a machine shop right now locally so hopefully we will find somthing out of its the heads. I wont say who did the heads...yet but they are a well known person. Any ideas what the problem could be?
Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something is wrong with the heads or block IMO if it happened twice.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a crack in block but it could be something else. When you put in the ARP head bolts did you use thread seeler on the threads?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00BlueTA
Sounds like a crack in block but it could be something else. When you put in the ARP head bolts did you use thread seeler on the threads?
I just dont understand it the car was fine before the swap. yes we used thread sealer. Hopefully I will have somthing good to say in this post tomorrow about the heads (good meaning we have an answer and found somthing and its not the block). If the heads are fine im going to start to worry. I just dont see how the block could be cracked though as we cleaned EVERYTHING out of the bolt holes fearing any liquid could be in there when the bolts are torqued down. Also I dont remember if I mentioned this in my 1st post but its the same cylinder leaking
Old 04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

damn man, that sucks...I hought you guys had that figured out. i still have some jb weld from the 408
Old 06-10-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Any news on the results?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Any news on the results?
Intake port on the #1 cylinder was cracked. It would only open up when you stomp on it. Well finnaly it went all the way through and hydrolocked my motor