Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Roller or Hydraulic: LS7 heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Roller or Hydraulic: LS7 heads

Well I'm about to start ordering the majority of my engine components. LSX block, crank, rods, pistons, etc. But I'm at a toss up when it comes to going hydraulic or solid roller. My fabricator is saying solid roller since the car is only going to see about 5,000 miles a year. And this way, being a twin turbo car, we can run a slightly larger cam and push the power band longer in the rpm range. What do you all suggest for a street car that won't see a ton of mileage? I'm not opposed to adjusting the rocker arms every couple thousand miles, but for engine noise, driveability, etc, what would be the benefit of both?

Also I'm running LS7 heads on the car with the Jesel rocker arms...anyone know if those are compatible with a solid roller setup? I guess I can call them again and ask, but has anyone done a solid roller LS7 setup?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would say that depends on weather or not the turbo kit would allow easy access to the valve covers. If so, then great, do it. If not, then I wouldnt bother.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

With these modern tight lash solid rollers after they break in they don't require alot of adjusting. I would check my old setup every 6 months and the lash never changed.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
With these modern tight lash solid rollers after they break in they don't require alot of adjusting. I would check my old setup every 6 months and the lash never changed.
Sweet!Was it on a LS1 motor??What rockers did you run??
Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd decide what power level you want and go from there. If you can do it with a hyd then I'd go that way. If you find a turbo setup that likes the RPM's and you want the most out of your setup then go with a SR setup.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperZ
Sweet!Was it on a LS1 motor??What rockers did you run??
It was a 355ci SBC marine engine. AFR heads, Vic Jr, Lunati forged widebody adj rockers. Cam was a tight lash street solid roller. If I remember right it was about .012" lash. I would pull the covers at the end of every season and the lash was always in spec.

theblur98ss, summed it up right on.

Quick Reply: Solid Roller or Hydraulic: LS7 heads