Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agree or not with my tuner on an over-rev?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Agree or not with my tuner on an over-rev?

A couple of weeks ago, I did the idiot shift of 3rd to 2nd while meaning to put it in 4th, at high {not WOT.} Rear tires chirped, fwd end nosedived before I slammed the clutch back in.
I cursed my stupidity, and drove the last mile to my destination.

Three hours later, I started the return drive home. Within a few miles, I got the dreaded SES light, which my AutoTap identified as various misfires, which I understood, and some weird **** like IAC high voltage, and high voltage MAP P0015 B Camshaft Pos Timing-Over-Retarded and others which I did not understand.

The car seem to run fine, and I have hardened push rods, so later in the day, I reset the computer. I went through the dreaded idle/relearn on a cam car. Had some misfires on AutoTap, but many fewer, and they eventually disappeared.

Last week I went on a long highway test drive with the AutoTap, no misfires at all.

HERE’S WHERE MY QUESTIONS START:

I happened to mention to my tuner the incident and the IAC high voltage, and high voltage MAP and other codes I could not explain.

Mr. Tuner is convinced that even though the engine idles normal and there are no misfires, I could have a bent push rod or two. He sez I should pull the valve covers and check.

I say NO because:
It's much harder to bend the Comp Cams pushrods, not likely they are bent.
I’d see some evidence of bent pushrods. Loss of power, worse idle, SES codes, consistent misfire - something.
I say it’s paranoid to pull the valve covers.

Who's Right? What say you?

BMR Boxed Subframe Connectors {Yellow) • Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace {Yellow} !CAGS • Direct-Flo Airlid • Holly Powershot Air Filter SLP Smooth Bellows • Brian Green Ram Air System • Bo White Ported Throttle Body NGK TR55-IX {Iridium} Plugs • SLP Underdrive Pulley • LS2 Chain 180 Thermostat • TSP Ported Oil Pump • Dynatech SuperMAXX Header System Comp Cams Custom Grind (220/224 .532/.535 114) • Comp Cams 915 Springs and Pushrods Custom PCM programming

Last edited by fnbrowning; 04-17-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think if you had bent pushrods you would hear some loud ticking. How does it sound?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the valves stock?
Possibility of bent valves?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mvvette97
I would think if you had bent pushrods you would hear some loud ticking. How does it sound?
Sounds fine.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jinxedz
Are the valves stock?
Possibility of bent valves?
Usually the valve is much stronger than the pushrod, so the pushrod bends to absorb the shock. I would say that of all the people who bend stock pushrods due to an overrev, 95% or more have no problems with the valves.

Also, If you have a bent valve, it is much more likely that you will get some kind of tick in the exhaust or pop in the intake.

No codes.
No tick.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Usually the valve is much stronger than the pushrod, so the pushrod bends to absorb the shock. I would say that of all the people who bend stock pushrods due to an overrev, 95% or more have no problems with the valves.

Also, If you have a bent valve, it is much more likely that you will get some kind of tick in the exhaust or pop in the intake.

No codes.
No tick.
Your hardedned pushrods are stronger than your valves, once you have hardened PR's and you overrev you can easily bend valves up and it will casue the symptoms you are describing. Id be pulling the heads off if i were you after you check for a bent PR. look for a messed up valvespring too.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

I'd still take a couple of hours to check things out if you're worried about it. Pull the coils/valve covers and look over everything (rockers, pushrods, springs, etc.) closely. If there's nothing obviously out of place, I'd button it back up - no need to disassemble rockers and check pushrods. It shouldn't take much time to give it a quick visual inspection like that. Might not be a bad time to change the plugs too with everything out of the way.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I'd still take a couple of hours to check things out if you're worried about it. Pull the coils/valve covers and look over everything (rockers, pushrods, springs, etc.) closely. If there's nothing obviously out of place, I'd button it back up - no need to disassemble rockers and check pushrods. It shouldn't take much time to give it a quick visual inspection like that. Might not be a bad time to change the plugs too with everything out of the way.
Wont really be able to check the bent pushrods/valves with everything on the engine ... theyll need to be removed to be examined, which might mean pulling the heads to get to the valves

sounds like a PITA just for a 'check-up', but its the only way to know for sure
Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

It takes a whopping 2 hours at the most to pull the PR's and check the valvesprings and reassemble. Pretty easy.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
It takes a whopping 2 hours at the most to pull the PR's and check the valvesprings and reassemble. Pretty easy.
I know, I just did them, im talking about pulling the heads (to check the valves).
Old 04-17-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jinxedz
I know, I just did them, im talking about pulling the heads (to check the valves).
My post wasnt directed toward you, lol.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
Your hardedned pushrods are stronger than your valves, once you have hardened PR's and you overrev you can easily bend valves up and it will casue the symptoms you are describing. Id be pulling the heads off if i were you after you check for a bent PR. look for a messed up valvespring too.
I don't have any symptoms now. . . !
I had weird codes for one day, like: MAP overvoltage, IAC overvoltage, and the P0015 B Camshaft Pos Timing-Over-Retarded
All of which went away after the PCM reset.

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
The point is, I wasn't worried until the tuner said I should be worried.

No symptoms.
No ticking.

So the LS1TECH hive mind sez I should still pull the valve covers, huh?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can do a leakdown test to see if you have bent valves. Bent valves will not seat correctly in the seats and leak can be determined. If something abnormal is detected, then you can proceed to yanking the heads.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You can do a leakdown test to see if you have bent valves. Bent valves will not seat correctly in the seats and leak can be determined. If something abnormal is detected, then you can proceed to yanking the heads.
Why should I do it is the question. Would you do it after 1 over-rev where you had no symtoms 2 weeks after?

That is the reason for the thread!

Are you guys suggesting leak-down tests and possible head check after one over-rev?

Have you completely read my posts?????
Old 04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since your original post says who's right, and you obviously care more about being smarter than your tuner, I'll go ahead and say you're right to make you happy.

Aside from that, Predator hit the nail on the head - a compression test and leakdown test would tell you all you need to know without even pulling the valvecovers. But I wouldn't worry much if you have no symptoms of a problem...
Old 04-17-2007, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hammertime
Well, since your original post says who's right, and you obviously care more about being smarter than your tuner, I'll go ahead and say you're right to make you happy....
THAT is a revealing, smug, ingratiating, false reply.

This isn't a contest as to who's smarter.
It's a thread as to the level of {caution} {paranoia} I should apply.

Who's right means how much work the LS1TECH hive mind thinks needs to be done.
None / A Little / A Lot

It's not a game. It will determine how much time/$$ I spend.

This isn't a game
Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't check it. But I'm also the kind of guy who likes to break ****.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you had the symptoms and they were physical, the car didnt fix itself. It could be the cpu is good at hiding them in your case, but my motor on stock pushrods doing the same thing as you bent 4 valves. In the end a leak down test isnt going to cost anymore than $40.00 for ease of mind.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Restricted User

my opinion is that if there is even the smallest amout of caution/paranoia in your mind, you must decide if you want to be be safe or sorry.
a....you over-reved your car.
b....your tuner suggest that your problems might be related to the mis-shift.
c.....members have also confirmed that it may in fact be a bent p/r or valve.
what else would you like everyone to say?

if there is the slightest chance you may not like the answer, please dont ask the question.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

You post this and then discredit everyone that tries to help you. You know it all already so why even ask?

Good luck getting it fixed.