Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun Rod Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spun Rod Bearing

I am pretty sure I have a spun rod bearing and I need advice on how to fix this issue. I have no idea what I have to do. So anything would be great full. I just rebuilt the valve train last week. After doing so I found out the sounds that was coming from the heads was actually coming from the crank case.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it is indeed a spun rod bearing, you have to remove the engine & fix it.This might require a new rotating assembly,or you can replace the bearing & repair the crank..I've seen this done with out removing the engine in a truck,but a car would be easier to pull the engine.
Besides the noise,why do you think you spun a bearing? Were you having oil pressure issues?
Mileage?
Good upkeep?
Stock?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya you will definitely have to remove the engine and make sure there is no damage. Did the engine lose all oil pressure or what?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Well here its. The cars been religiously oil changed with mobile 5w30. K&N oil filters. I was coming into work one day and heard a ticking. It got louder. By the time I made it to base. Oil Pressure was fine. I was able to trailer the car to the auto hobby shop on base. The mechanic there went around with one of them doctor things. Said hey its coming from your heads. So I removed the cover. Found a valve spring that looked pretty bad. I replaced them,also the rocker arm and push rods. Now the sound we are hearing is coming from the crank case. And well the mechanic dude at the hobby shop said it was this. It sucks I am in the Marine Corp and I really dont have much time to mess with it as I would like to.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Where are you ?
Pendleton? Le june?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

I am in New Orleans station at MAR FOR RES HQ
Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Get a second opinion.
Auto Skills guys aren't alway the shapest..
I'm not saying he's wrong but that's a there's alot riding on the diagnosis.
Post this in a regional forum that is read by folks in your area & see if there are knowledgeble people from this site that can help you locally.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I found a place that can do the work Futeral Motorsports but the cost to pull the motor and take it apart is around the 1500 dollar range. Last I looked at my paycheck Marine Sgts dont make that much. The auto hobby shop guys are pretty good. But I really dont think they know much about LS1 Motors. The crazy thing is the car is not throwing a code or anything like that.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Disturbedtransam
I found a place that can do the work Futeral Motorsports but the cost to pull the motor and take it apart is around the 1500 dollar range. Last I looked at my paycheck Marine Sgts dont make that much. The auto hobby shop guys are pretty good. But I really dont think they know much about LS1 Motors. The crazy thing is the car is not throwing a code or anything like that.
Go do an OIF & you'll have plenty of $$$$.
I've been in your shoes..I had to take out a loan to replace my engine a few years ago.
Has Futral looked at the car?
The computer won't throw codes until there's a misfire..Once the car throws a rod,then it'll misfire.You aren't there yet.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Teching In

You may have simply collapsed a lifter. Spun bearings are usually intermitent and associated with an increase of rpm; they also make an indistinguishable rap-rap-rap sound. Also your oil pressure will usually be lower at idle than usual. If your car is ticking nonstop and you just replaced a bad valve spring and pushrod, then I would further investigate the lifters; just my .02
Old 04-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Hallsj,
Where might the lifters be located at? And how hard are they to do?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

I been trying to go back to Iraq since I been down here. I am the only one of my MOS field down here. And I have 2 guys retiring so my chance's to get some real money is not going to happen. But I do have a security job on the side. Iraq would be sweet. And then I could get a Pro Charger.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
Go do an OIF & you'll have plenty of $$$$.
Im in one as I type (OEF) ($$$$$$) but I seriously doubt is a rod bearing, does it get louder/faster as you rev up the rpms, does it go away for a split second then come back and continue to come/go off and on? (if so that prob a bearing) but if it has not gotten worse or louder then its most likely a lifter.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

If it was a spun bearing wouldn't the oil pressure drop to 0 thats atleast what ive always heard but that might just be for old school stuff.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bjamick
If it was a spun bearing wouldn't the oil pressure drop to 0 thats atleast what ive always heard but that might just be for old school stuff.
Not always but if it the bearing has completly come off/worn away (from driving on a spun bearing for a while, this happend to me on my VW a few yrs ago) THEN oil press will drop A LOT but most of the time never all the way to 0.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Teching In

The lifters are located under the heads, which of course means you will need to pull the heads to change them. It's not a difficult job, just somewhat time consuming. IMO the worst part is removing the old gasket material from the block and heads. Look at the bright side, if you wanted to upgrade the heads; now would be an opportune time. Now for the bad news... If it is in fact a bad lifter and you continue to drive the car; ultimately the cam will wear excessively and fill your oil with al kinds of metallic trash. This is of course a great way to spin a bearing. Dont ask me how I know this.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Wish there was some good news to tell you, but it could just be something simple as just tightening all you rockers. Hope for the best for ya man.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

When I rev it it does get louder. I need to make it over to the shop. Soon as I do I will have some more info.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

If you spun a bearing, you'll probably see shavings in your oil pain/filter. If there's none there, then I have no idea.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Inside the oil filter looks more like a real fine metallic paste.