Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Advice

I know I know, its been beaten to death, but the search isnt working.

I'm swapping an 02 LS1 from a Camaro into the RX7 (see sig). The engine is out now and figure now is the best time to do a cam swap. The car will have long tubes, no cats back into a Magnaflow muffler, custom CAI, and stock heads for now.

I ordered a T-Rex cam package from TR last week during their 10% off sale. I'm now having second thoughts about running it on the stock heads. The RX7 will only weigh 2600 lbs or so, so I dont necessarily mind losing some lowend torque. Also, driveability isnt that much of a concern because this isnt a DD. The RX7 also comes with 4.10s stock in the rear.

My questions.....should I stick with the T-Rex? What power should I be at on the stock heads? What about after adding some ported LS6 heads? I assume the stock heads will be the main restriction on my setup after adding the T-Rex.

Also, I've never tuned a car, but was thinking about ordering HPT and trying it myself. I assume there are some T-Rex tunes in the depository that I could use as a template?

Any other cam recommendations?

Thanks guys
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bursty
I know I know, its been beaten to death, but the search isnt working.

I'm swapping an 02 LS1 from a Camaro into the RX7 (see sig). The engine is out now and figure now is the best time to do a cam swap. The car will have long tubes, no cats back into a Magnaflow muffler, custom CAI, and stock heads for now.

I ordered a T-Rex cam package from TR last week during their 10% off sale. I'm now having second thoughts about running it on the stock heads. The RX7 will only weigh 2600 lbs or so, so I dont necessarily mind losing some lowend torque. Also, driveability isnt that much of a concern because this isnt a DD. The RX7 also comes with 4.10s stock in the rear.

My questions.....should I stick with the T-Rex? What power should I be at on the stock heads? What about after adding some ported LS6 heads? I assume the stock heads will be the main restriction on my setup after adding the T-Rex.

Also, I've never tuned a car, but was thinking about ordering HPT and trying it myself. I assume there are some T-Rex tunes in the depository that I could use as a template?

Any other cam recommendations?

Thanks guys
Seeing as how light the FD is and that it comes with 4.10's as is, I'd stick with it because you aren't going to need X amount of low end torque to get moving. That sucker is light! Make sure you clay and check PtV though, thats always a good safety net. The T-rex is designed to work with stock heads, so there shouldn't be a problem and of course you can expect a nice increase with the addition of heads.

Bottom line, I say go for it man

Beautiful car btw!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

keep the cam and run it for the exact same reasons as posted above. That cam is a great choice for that car if staying with stock heads.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
keep the cam and run it for the exact same reasons as posted above. That cam is a great choice for that car if staying with stock heads.
Will the stock heads be a huge restriction? How much gain will I see if I go to ported LS6 heads?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bursty
Will the stock heads be a huge restriction? How much gain will I see if I go to ported LS6 heads?
No, the cam was designed for STOCK HEADS. Ported ls6 heads would give an average of 25-30whp and more through out the curve.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
No, the cam was designed for STOCK HEADS. Ported ls6 heads would give an average of 25-30whp and more through out the curve.
Awesome, sounds good. What about tuning? Think I'd be able to make it work using HPT and a T-Rex tune from the repository?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

TTT, any advice on tuning?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

someone will have a bin file that I am sure you could use. I would still throw it on the dyno after, just to make sure everything is dead on.