Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 LS1 pushrods

Old 04-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 LS1 pushrods

Can anyone help me ? I need to know the stock pushrod length and diameter for a 98 LS1 and is there anything different between them and say a older 350 motor besides length and diameter if these 2 things are different at all. Thanks for any info.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock is 7.400.. not sure on diameter.. but the LS1 pushrods are different from SBC engines
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Teching In

That is what I thought, I read it the other day on here but couldn't find the thread again. My question now is where do you measure from ? Is that the total overall length of them or is that from where the groove is where the ball starts to the groove on the other end ? If I measure the pushrods I got ( from autozone, don't ask ) from the tip of one end to the tip of the other I come up with about 7.899 - 7.9 but if I measure groove to groove I get 7.4 - 7.401.

I have also never done any motor work like this myself. What is the best way to check for bent valves ? I lost my job 2 weeks ago and kind of have to do this myself and don't have much $ to spend, that is why I got autozone pushrods. I over reved the motor by going into 3rd gear while trying to go from 4th to 5th so I want to make sure everything is ok with the motor. I am sure I definately have bent pushrods because of the lack of oil in my rockers after drying up what was there and running the car again for about 20 seconds. I just want my car to run normal again and hopefully some time soon. It didn't run too bad when driving it home ( not too far ) but you could hear the motor bog in first gear around where my shift light comes on which is at 5,800 rpm's. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Here'e a link that explains PR length. Stock is actually just under 7.4, but that is the size you order if you want stock length.

http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Pushrods/

I have a set of stock PR's with 18k miles on them I am going to be selling - shoot me a pm if you want 'em...
Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys and the offer on the PR's. I just ordered a set of SLP PR's because I would like to try and have the car running by Friday night if I don't have any bent valves or other damage. I had to take the pushrods I got from Autozone back. They were from Holley and had a different length on the box then what the pushrods actually were and on their site they had them listed as 8.040" long and they weren't even near that. No matter what they were the wrong parts. Thanks again guys.

Search this Thread