Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 with 6.0l internals

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 with 6.0l internals

I am looking to install a ls1 driveline into my 67 camaro.I know its been done already. I recently got a 2004 6.0 L out
of a truck and I know the internals are the same as an ls1. Question. I have a complete engine. I also have a ls1 97-98 block with stock crank with spun rod bearing. I heard the 6.0l heads flo well. 6.0 needed rebuild do to stuck piston rings. Do I bore out the ls1 block and use the 6.0 l
rotating assembly stock and heads and if so what cam should I use. Or should I just rebuild the 6.0 in the cast block, change the cam. I also have a stock corvette ls1 intake and a 5.3 l truck intake. Are the aluminum weind and/or holley or fast intakes worth the money. So many parts, not sure where to begin. can anyone give me some advise?Please On a budget. Automatic transmission planned.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, the LS1 has a 3.89 bore and the LQ (6.0) has a 4.0. The internals, like pistons, wont work. I would just rock the 6.0 and buy this: http://slponline.com/search.asp Its a package that includes L92 heads, L76 intake manifold/fuel rails and injectors, and all needed brackets etc. Then get a cable driven throttle body and a new cam and gaskets. L92 heads need a 6.0 bore. Did you get a LQ9 or a LQ4 engine out of a truck? One has flat top pistons and came in the escalades and SS silverados (LQ9). The other has lower compression and came in 2500/3500 trucks (LQ4)
Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, not the right link. http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12295

That should do it. Check out the car craft issue last month. A mild cam, L92 heads and a Holley 850 made 585 flywheel hp...i think. It was a LQ9 because the pics showed flat top pistons. Also, the torque that a 6.0 makes is incredible! How does 400ft/lbs in the 2000 rpm range (and climbing) sound?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

You wont find a better flowing head for the money. Chevy only wants about $400 per assembled L92 head!
Check out TSPs page for some info on available short block combos: http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...?MID=1&catid=3
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Teching In

I'm a little fuzzy as to l92, l76 terminology. The heads I have with this engine are 317 casting i believe,are these L92 heads? Also I believe the engine to be lq4 for it came out of a 3500 G van andthe pistons are dished. The original problem with the engine was seized piston rings. I was wondering to rering the lower end using the stock heads, what cam should i use for street use and should I use a truck style intake or a camaro/corvette style intake. I will be using headers as it is a custom install in my 67 anyway. Looking for 450 to 500 horse. without boring the block. Should I look for lq9 pistons or keep the existing pistons?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the L92 is a new 2007 6.2 liter engine. Its heads flow EXTREMELY well, and you will not find a head that cheap. I stick firmly with that, as that is where I am going in the future.

As for cams... Man thats the tip of the iceburg. There are SO many questions that need to be addressed with that one. Where do you want the power? Are you looking for peak numbers or a beast under the curve? Do you want something mild or extreme...or dyno queen, or an undetectable cam? What kind of overlap do you have in mind? How much lift are you willing to go.... .550??...585??...over .600??? What are your other drivetrain parts??...manual...auto.... high or low gears??? There are monster cams with awesome tunes that cruize around town with the A/C on in automatic cars...and then there are mild cams that have a terrible tunes that want to die every time you start up the engine. In other words, your goals and platform needs to be pretty clear. I recommend calling up Thunder Racing, or Futural, or Texas Speed and asking them... or Patric G will design a custom cam for you for $25...i think...and then get TR to make it for you on a discount.

As for the block... again, there are a lot of ways to go there. I think NEW OEM internals are pretty expensive, comparative to good stuff. But, theres always the "for sale section" here where these stock parts are traded off pretty reguarly at awesome prices.

Camaro/vette intake ALL THE WAY!! Maybe even the FAST intake. Or, if you go the L92 head route you're pretty much forced into the L76 intake...i think...but thats deffinately not a bad thing. Its got a stock 90mm TB hole!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the L76 was austrailian derived LSX component/engine... that has made its way to GM trucks?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Teching In

I appreciate all the input. basically what I have in mind is something that could be concidered a daily driver as far as comfort and reliability. But I also don't want to be left in the dust. I think I will do somemore research and see what all is out there. There are so many parts and so little time. I am a tech at a gm dealer so parts are accessible. Thats how I aquired the motor. But I am on a budget. considering the car itself isn't complete yet. I just want a direction to go in. So thanks again! I got a tech here with a twin turbo trans am which is sick. I don't want to be scared to drive my car on the street. Too much power can be a handful on the street.