Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd oil pressure problem popped up

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wierd oil pressure problem popped up

Did a search and couldn't find anything similar. I have noticed recently that when my car is warmed up the pressure occasionally goes from it steady 38psi to a sudden drop to 25psi. I can rev it and usually it jumps back up and holds 38psi again. It did this before once I got the H/C in, but it only did this for a moment if the the car would low surge. But that corresponded to the drop in RPMs down to about 500rpm, now it does it with no low surge. Sometimes it will just hang at 25psi even after it rises with a rev, then I can drive it a block and its fine again. I can't figure it out. It started after I switched to GC 0W-30, I dont get it. The only thing I can think of is about 2 months ago, I floored it with my friend in the car, and when I glanced down at the guages the pressure dropped like a rock while it climbed to 6500. I let off, it climbed back up, and the lifters were noisy for about 10 seconds then went back to normal. The oil level was super low, I immediately drove it to get the castrol put in. I think basically when the H/C swap was done I dont think they added any oil because it hasn't burned a drop in the 1500 miles I put on since I changed the oil. The car drove fine for a while after, but now the problem of the drop at idle has occured, no stange noises, no loss of performance is apparent. Oil pressure climbs perfect with revs. I am stumped, brand new ported oil pump so I dont think its that or the o-ring. I just hope no bearings are roasted. Any ideas??
Old 04-25-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, it seems search is working right for me again and not snding me to google. i am going to change the Sending unit and not sweat it till it breaks or runs crazy. If it runs crazy it will probably break, which will buy me a new shortblock, so F-it. I'll beat on it a little harder and see what happens.