Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine assembly questions...

Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine assembly questions...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be putting together my LPE short block,but am not sure about a couple of things.

1-The service manual says to install the front and rear covers before the oil pan.They use a special tool (J-41480) to make sure the bottom of the cover is flush with the block.It's basically a plate that bolts to where the oil pan does and protrudes past the block.
My question is can I install the oil pan first to seat the covers?It should work the same.
2-The manual also states that the rear main seal should be installed after the cover.This also uses a special tool.I need to know if the seal can be installed before the rear cover without any issues?

Looking for any tips/hints that others have used.

Any input from tuners/builders would be very helpfull.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good questions. Im in the same boat as you, but I didnt know there was a tool to align the cover with the bottom of the block. I do know that when I changed my rear main seal, I used a peice of 2x4 and a hammer to get it in....like Ive done on every seal Ive changed, and never had any problems with any of them.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
Good questions. Im in the same boat as you, but I didnt know there was a tool to align the cover with the bottom of the block. I do know that when I changed my rear main seal, I used a peice of 2x4 and a hammer to get it in....like Ive done on every seal Ive changed, and never had any problems with any of them.
Thats good to know.....Iv'e done the front that way.

I don't want this thing to leak....It's a PIA to fix on a vette.

Search this Thread