Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have to pull a head

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have to pull a head

I bent some pushrods a little over a week ago and while checking them out I was running out of daylight so I put the valve covers back on. While doing so I was snugging down the valve cover bolts ( 98 LS1 perimeter bolts ) and two of them snapped on me and you got it, they are the 2 in the back on the drivers side near the power brake booster ( 91 Z28 car ). I really don't have much room to drill the bolts and use a easy out on them and it is going to make a mess with metal chips any way and I definately don't want them in the heads. So, I have to pull the head. So besides doing the obvious like unbolting the exhaust manifold and getting that out of the way what else do I have to do to remove the head ? I am guessing I have to unplug all the injectors and remove the intake as well ? Any help would be appreciated and torque values once I get the head back. Also, will I need new head bolts ?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 PM

www.ls1howto.com

Time for new heads. If you have to pull them you should get new ones. If you are on a budget, stock LS6 243 castings can be had cheap and would produce a good amount of hp over the 806 heads.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you need new head bolts...if you don't do heads now and ever plan to I would do ARP studs. Good luck
Jon
Old 04-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by davered00ss
www.ls1howto.com

Time for new heads. If you have to pull them you should get new ones. If you are on a budget, stock LS6 243 castings can be had cheap and would produce a good amount of hp over the 806 heads.
Thanks for the link and info. I would like new heads but that is impossible right now because I don't have a job at the time. It's bad enough I have to go through this because of some garbage bolts GM used for the valve covers on these year cars.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't forget the ground strap on the rear of the head.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Don't forget the ground strap on the rear of the head.
Thanks. I read the link above and was reminded about them when reading that. I am screwed for now though and can't do this any way, I also forgot about coolant running all over the place as well. I live in a apartment complex and you aren't supposed to work on cars here and with the dogs and " wild cats " and other animals I can't have antifreeze all over the place.