Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaceing rings and bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replaceing rings and bearings

I have a stock short block i'm going to put new rings and bearings in..Any advice or is there a wright up on it??This is for my street car and i really don't want to spend the money on have a machine shop do it so please no post suggesting that!!!!I'm fully aware of my options..lol

BTW:

I'm thinking i'm going to throw some nice rod bolts,ported oil pump,and a ls2 timing chain.

Last edited by sr71bbjr; 05-02-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sr71bbjr
I have a stock short block i'm going to put new rings and bearings in..Any advice or is there a wright up on it??This is for my street car and i really don't want to spend the money on have a machine shop do it so please no post suggesting that!!!!I'm fully aware of my options..

BTW:

I'm thinking i'm going to throw some nice rod bolts,ported oil pump,and a ls2 timing chain.
As long as its didnt spin a bearing replace them with stock replacements and check clearances. Someone was selling a decent set of measuring tools the other day on here.

The rings, just order a set of Speed Pro's and install em with a quick light hone on the cylinders. most of them ive had ended up @ .016 to .020 on the top ring and the 2nd ring was already at .022. Stock oiling rings.

Last edited by 1936FordPU; 05-02-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

sr71bbjr,
Is this engine installed in your car now or is it out of the car?

Why are you replacing the bearings and rings? Are you using oil, loosing oil pressure, have high mileage or what? Do your valves need to be ground? How much are you willing to spend and how long do you plan to own the vehicle?

These things make a difference on what I will recommend.

Steve

BTW
This thread really belongs in Gen III Internal.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Motor isn't in the car. I'm buying a used short block with 70k on it and i want it to be fresh...I am willing to spend about $600.

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
sr71bbjr,
Is this engine installed in your car now or is it out of the car?

Why are you replacing the bearings and rings? Are you using oil, loosing oil pressure, have high mileage or what? Do your valves need to be ground? How much are you willing to spend and how long do you plan to own the vehicle?

These things make a difference on what I will recommend.

Steve

BTW
This thread really belongs in Gen III Internal.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

noone knows **** huh??lol
Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Some good advice.. take your time and double check everything. Bearing tolerances can make or break an engine. Make sure you have the right tools. And stop by the bookstore. They probably have a good book that will show you how to check clearances, how to hone the bores, etc. And make sure you have a good torque wrench and torque everything. I know this sounds like common sense, but it's good to keep the simple things in mind.