Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me.....

I have a 2000 SS 6 speed. It has 100,500 miles. Last week I was drivng around and went through the gears but not real hard. RPM's didn't exceed 5700, (light set to 5800 and didn't come on) Car stil runs fine, no missing no rough idle but a couple seconds after I did it I heard a faint tick and after driving a couple miles the tick got louder. I also noticed that at cruising speed in 5th the oil psi was at about 25, It seemed to always run slightly under the 40 mark. The pressure only drops after the engine is half warm. The ticking is all the time. It is at the mechanic now and I feel bad because am bothering the hell out of them calling all the time but we can't seem to figure out the issue. They have tried looking at the lifters but I guess nothing is out of the ordinary. I brought it to them thinking it was the oil pump but they state they are getting 40 psi on a mechanical guage. Any other ideas????? (I searched before and after taking it to the mechanic.)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So they have pulled your heads? Thats probably gonna cost you. My car done that and my "ticking" was rod bearings. I hope its not that, but your oil pressure is doing the same as mine did also. Though the oil pumps are notorious for going out on 98-00, they usually go out all at once. Change your oil and cut the filter open and check for metal shavings.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Teching In

no heads pulled, they have the covers off watching the valves, the guy did say he didn't see the volume up top like he thought there should be. I am hoping oil pump.
I thought bearings made squealing noises? You have LT's, ever have a gasket fail making a loud ticking sound?

Last edited by JNSE06; 05-03-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

If I broke a weld on my exhaust at the end of the header, could it make the tick?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, it could be a number of things. Anythings possible. Where in Tennessee are you located?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Teching In

I'm in Murfreesboro, you?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

chattanooga
Old 05-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Teching In

fixed

Last edited by JNSE06; 06-09-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Default Problem solved

I was sure it was a bad lifter and it turned out that one pushrod was bent and another was broken into three pieces. They were on opposite sides and that is why the tick seemed t move around. Put in Manley pushrods and changed the lifters with GM Performance just in case. Alot of work but the car runs alot better now. It has never run this good. I guess the pushrods were bent when I bought the car in December and one finally broke.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JNSE06
I was sure it was a bad lifter and it turned out that one pushrod was bent and another was broken into three pieces. They were on opposite sides and that is why the tick seemed t move around. Put in Manley pushrods and changed the lifters with GM Performance just in case. Alot of work but the car runs alot better now. It has never run this good. I guess the pushrods were bent when I bought the car in December and one finally broke.
So you took the heads off?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not at all uncommon to bend the stock pishrods, glad it worked out for you. The oil pressure dropping concerned me, but with it reading well off a mechanical guage, it sounds like the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the intake is crapping out.. also a common problem with these cars!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I pulled the heads. I used the instructions on ls1howto.com. I was already doing the driver side when my buddy discovered the broken one on the right side. Luckily no real damage. Cracked the top of the lifter cup but not a big deal. Used GM Performance lifters soaked in Synthetic Castrol for 2 days. Also used GM performance head bolt sets and Manley pushrods. Real big difference in pushrods over stock. Very well made pieces. Used Mr Gasket head gaskets, they were the closest I could get to OEM quench. Would have been alot easier if my headers weren't welded to the y-pipe, but that was done before me. I see flanges in the future.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

**while it was at the mechanic I had them put in the Melling pump, that returned oil psi to normal. forgot to mention that.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How in the crap did they not catch a bent, and especially, a broken pushrod????? Never Go There AGAIN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!! It's an LS1, first thing you check is bent pushrods, not even when having problems, jsut because, you check that!!!!! And you can't watch the valves work properly with broken pushrod, even if it holds on pieces, if they checked height, they would have to have pulled them!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
How in the crap did they not catch a bent, and especially, a broken pushrod????? Never Go There AGAIN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!! It's an LS1, first thing you check is bent pushrods, not even when having problems, jsut because, you check that!!!!! And you can't watch the valves work properly with broken pushrod, even if it holds on pieces, if they checked height, they would have to have pulled them!
Needless to say I was less than happy when I discovered them. I thought they would have checked it but I guess not. But at least they didn't charge me for the diagnosis. Usually I do all my own work anyway but I had a wedding going on with in laws from out of country staying with me so I didn't have time to mess with it. At least I learned more about the car and now with a new oil pump, head gaskets, lifters, pushrods, transmission, clutch and water pump all in the past couple months, the car is getting close to new again.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Teching In

**oh and it was obvious the last rocker on the back of the head on the pass side had an issue because it had some wiggle in it. If they would have just pulled the valve covers they would have been able to check by just trying to move the rockers up and down.