Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad install by shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad install by shop

Well, I have gotten my headers done by a local shop. They installed them, but when they put the o2 extenders on along with the sensors, they left the connector, right where the two connect, right next to the collector of the header. You can take a gues how bad the connnection and sensor are fried.

Would I be better of with buying a rear corvette sensor since I belevieve they are longer are will not have to buy another extension?

Also would I seek to have the shop reimburse me or soemthing, this work was done about 8 months ago, but the car is rarely driven
Old 05-05-2007, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

i had a bad 02 last year and just put in the vette ones. fit alot better and got rid of the extentions.
if your interested, my brother has a set of the 13111 vette o2s. we were going to use them on his LT1 but it has the flat connectors.
ill ask him how much he wants
Old 05-05-2007, 05:54 PM

Sucks, but you can't really blame them or prove they routed them poorly. Get under there and rout them yourself and tiewrap them off good.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

nay, Id say DEF. go back and make them atleast do the work of reinstalling if not replacing the melted sens. its not the installers fault if they just wont fit right due to the shape of the headers, but if there's a problem (such as the wire cant be positioned in a way to stay clear of the heat) he should have pointed that out. if its nicely routed/ziptied away from the header and melted, nothing you can really do. cause he did the best he could with what you gave him. but, if the conn. is just hanging there, very close to the header, then he didnt do a good job routing the wires. thats a good portion of the work in installing headers is rerouting harness', and sometimes lengthening wires so they can be routed clear from the heat.

what headers do you have? Ive installed several sets of headers, and by far SLP's are the worst Ive seen for clearance of plug wires and harness'. infact, I try and talk ANYONE out of buying any SLP headers cause on LT1's and LS1's they just have crappy clearance compared to jethots or hookers. and i charge more to install those because of it.

if you just cant get alot of space between a harness and the header tube, you need to wrap the harness with heat a resistant material of some kind. check out summit, jegs, or any of our venders who might carry that sort of thing.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Another question about routing those O2's. I managed to get mine as far away from the headers as I could but what about the transmission and oilpan? Will that ever get hot enough to hurt anything? I had used a 24" extension on the drivers side and the 12" on the passanger side.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

no, you can have the harness touching the trans or oil pan, and it wont make a difference as far as heat is concerned. but, make sure they dont just rub on those parts. if its ziptied securely to them that would be ok.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just get the vette (13111) O2's. They're plenty long and will last longer than a standard O2 in your header.