Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***power Limit Of Stock Block***

Old 05-06-2007, 06:51 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default ***power Limit Of Stock Block***

What is the approx power limit of the stock aluminum LS1 block? It's going to be turbo charged, and I don't want the extra weight up front of the iron truck block. I wan't to make around 1000 flywheel HP. THANKS, J
Old 05-06-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on what people have said on this site...a stock block with a stock rotating assembly will hold up to about 600rwhp. i'm sure if you replace the stock rods for billet ones, add some arp bolts, and better pistons...you might be able to achieve your goal or at least something pretty close to it! people always talk about the aluminum block not being able to hold up, but i haven't heard of anybody breaking one yet...why don't you try it and let us know. Look at this great article...it's not turbo, but it is forced induction. He's running near 1,000 flywheel horse power. the article says 830rwhp, but when take aeay that moser 12-bolt and that TH400 trans, he should be making 900 and some change with that stock crank. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ro_ss_feature/
Old 05-06-2007, 07:38 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deeloc1
Based on what people have said on this site...a stock block with a stock rotating assembly will hold up to about 600rwhp. i'm sure if you replace the stock rods for billet ones, add some arp bolts, and better pistons...you might be able to achieve your goal or at least something pretty close to it! people always talk about the aluminum block not being able to hold up, but i haven't heard of anybody breaking one yet...why don't you try it and let us know. Look at this great article...it's not turbo, but it is forced induction. He's running near 1,000 flywheel horse power. the article says 830rwhp, but when take aeay that moser 12-bolt and that TH400 trans, he should be making 900 and some change with that stock crank. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ro_ss_feature/
Thanks! That is similer to what I want to do. I think a turbo is alittle easier on the block& crank than a supercharger. I will have good rods & pistons mated with the stock crank. 8.5:1 with 20-25psi. I have seen GEN 1 small blocks live for a short time with a similer setup, but the LS1 block looks alot stronger to me.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:43 AM

PM 8ALTNG He did a 5.3l with a turbo and a lot of power. Just changed over to a 408 iron block turbo & aver 1000rwhp.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think with that kind of boost the limiting factor will be clamping force on the heads to the block. I'm no expert on boost, but my stock bottom-end H/C/N engine lasted a few years at 576rwhp/590rwtq before pushing a head-gasket.

Search this Thread