Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant won't flush & Engine sounds like a sewing machine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant won't flush & Engine sounds like a sewing machine?

I was reading about coolant on here and realized that I had Dex cool and green in my car. So I checked it and sure enough, the two combined to create brown gunk...I was surprized that my car hadn't been running hot or anything, and just put down decent stock numbers on the dyno.

So I drained out whatever was inside. Then I filled it back up with water and let it run for 5 minutes. Durring that, it was making a sewing machine sound I had never heard before? After I turn it off, I start to drain the water and a little bit comes out and then it just stops. I can see water just sitting near the top of the filler cap, what gives?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it is clogged. I would try to flush with a garden hose. Run thru the top of you radiator to flush out the bottom. See if that helps push the **** out. The sewing machince sound I have no ideas about that.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I bought some Zerex Flush nonsense to help with the radiator deal and it seems to be working.

Still looking for some feedback on the noise. And no, I haven't installed the cam yet, so it isn't that.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Any idea how hot the car got in those few minutes while the car was running? If coolant wouldn't drain out of the radiator at all, I doubt it was flowing through the motor well...maybe overheated?

Could you have gotten any water/antifreeze on the serpentine belt or on the accessories? Maybe on your alternator's bearings or something like that.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Get the flush done and then get your system filled. Not sure what you are hearing but...
Coolant or water on the belts
Pump trying o move the sludge

...May be causing the noise. Get the other done first then we can tackle the noise.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Can you pin point where that sound is coming from?

It is a good description of what I am hearing. I seem to hear it best when i put my head under the front passenger side wheel well.