Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

copper substance in oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copper substance in oil

i just got my 01 ta back with a complete rebuilt motor, also installed a tor. 2 cam from tsp. my check engine light comes on and reads knock sensor low voltage, and the big problem when i changed my oil after 500 miles on the new motor i am finding a copper like metal in it. I think it my be my mains. so whats the verdict. I just spent 6500 on the rebuild. if it is the mains h#&& with it, anyone want to buy a 2001 ta lol? so let me know what you think it is. thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll find bearing material in the oil during the break in period, espeacially the first oil change. Keep an eye on the oil pressure and monitor your oil changes during the break in of the motor.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
You'll find bearing material in the oil during the break in period, espeacially the first oil change. Keep an eye on the oil pressure and monitor your oil changes during the break in of the motor.
+1 on this one. I helped my buddy build a motor for my old car to learn the tricks of the trade and got the same thing. He told me that was normal and just to watch my oil pressure. You will probably see more of this during the break in but it should become less and less. Now onto why you would sell it. Was the motor professionally built ? If so did you get any kind of warranty ? The reason I ask is when I did my 406 sbc the stock crank was cut .010 under and there was porosity on rod journal #7. I took it back to the speed shop and he took it back to the crank grinder he uses. They took it .040 under and it was still there but the grinder swore I wouldn't have any problems with it and guaranteed it would hold up and not wipe out any bearings. At 2,8xx miles I had to pull the motor because it did just that and wiped out the cam and had some collapsed lifters as well. If I would have chosen to the speed shop was willing to replace all the bad parts that were bought new and in good shape such as my cam, bearings and so on.

Quick Reply: copper substance in oil