Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somebody please help me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody please help me...

alright for hells sakes im about to pull my hair out. ever since i bought my Z06 it has always had a "flutter" on decel and if i rev the car when the RPM's are coming back down it will flutter... it did it with the stock motor, it still does it with the 408. i was thinking for SURE it was the stupid accessories and i just had a noisy tensioner or a alternator on its way out.

Today at lunch i took the belt off and ran the car with no belt attached.... THE FREAKING NOISE IS STILL THERE

i wanna go kick something.. iwas hoping it was an easy accessory fix or something but it didnt go away. what could possibly be rattling that sounds like a bearing going bad when the cars not moving and the belt is off the accessories???
Old 05-09-2007, 03:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to picture what you are describing......

What do you mean by "flutter"?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex @ CMS
I'm trying to picture what you are describing......

What do you mean by "flutter"?

ever heard a bearing going bad?? how it kinda chirps almost??? hrmm.. wonder if there is any way i could get a video of it and actually be able to hear it.. lol
Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

since most likely its not in the motor because you changed that,and its not an accessory could it be in the transmission?

if you open your hood and rev from the throttle body can you hear where its coming from better?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

ok... i found an OLD video of my car lol... it was still doing it back then.. pay close attention to decel of the motor and you will hear the gayness i speak of

Old 05-09-2007, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by delsold
since most likely its not in the motor because you changed that,and its not an accessory could it be in the transmission?

if you open your hood and rev from the throttle body can you hear where its coming from better?

transmission is brand new as well lol... EVERYTHING drivetrain on this car has been replaced.... engine, clutch, trans, everything lol... accesories and the actual car are the only stock thing left
Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

btw, that vid was also with the stock exhaust, stock cats, stock manifolds... the car now has long tubes and still does it...
Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

I think mine did that too now that you say chirp. I can't listen to the vid at work, but I will at home. I think mine was loudest near the rear, driver's side tire. I had a video with it up in the air slightly somewhere. Probably not hosted any more though. I was thinking at one point....maybe the rubber bushings in the torque tube???
Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I think mine did that too now that you say chirp. I can't listen to the vid at work, but I will at home. I think mine was loudest near the rear, driver's side tire. I had a video with it up in the air slightly somewhere. Probably not hosted any more though. I was thinking at one point....maybe the rubber bushings in the torque tube???

dude thats insane that you say that lol because i always thought it HAD to be engine related to be RPM related.. but when i listen to it it sound like it comeing from underneath the car, not from the engine.... gahhhhhhhh i hate this sound!!!!! hahahah
Old 05-09-2007, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

hey theres an idea.. if i rev it with the clutch pushed in wouldnt that throw out any options of it being the torque tube or something inside?? because the torque tube wont be spinning??
Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

If it's related to vibration, it'll be there clutch in or out I would think.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

If it's related to vibration, it'll be there clutch in or out I would think.

i guess thats true.... it almost seems like its purely harmonics and when it gets to a certain RPM it starts rattling something making a funky chirp noise... if i am driving and leave it in gear and let the trans slow the car down it does it hardcore... drives me absolutely insane.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWfIxvE0-0E

watch that vid... jsut before the burnout is what im talking about... its kickin my *** hardcore lol
Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

That's a little different that what I had with mine (now that I've listened to it). It almost sounds like a procharger right before the burnout.

My guess is there's something in the intake tract that whistling. That's one of the reasons stock cars have baffles after the lid. It helps cut back on intake noise. You could try taking off everything in front of the MAF (leave MAF connected) to see if that's the source.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

That's a little different that what I had with mine (now that I've listened to it). It almost sounds like a procharger right before the burnout.

My guess is there's something in the intake tract that whistling. That's one of the reasons stock cars have baffles after the lid. It helps cut back on intake noise. You could try taking off everything in front of the MAF (leave MAF connected) to see if that's the source.

lol tried that too... its 100% positively coming from underneath the car somewhere lol...

and yeah, i had a dude at the track ask me if i had twin turbos on it and if that was them blowing off
Old 05-10-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

It almost sounded like the AIR pump for a second too. Is that still hooked up?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

It almost sounded like the AIR pump for a second too. Is that still hooked up?

yeah it is actually, its disabled but its still hooked up.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
yeah it is actually, its disabled but its still hooked up.
I would check that. What kind of throttlebody do you have? is it the same from before the swap?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by STRIPSTAR
I would check that. What kind of throttlebody do you have? is it the same from before the swap?

TB is now different as well. its a ported LS2. like i said guys the noise is not coming from the engine bay. its 100& positively coming from underneath the car just in front of the drivers side rear wheel.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I heat my crank pulleys with a propane torch to install them and I actually got mine I guess to far on one time and it drove me insane tracing down that noise. I swapped belts, pulleys, everything. Started the car with no belt and still did it. I decided to start tearing it back down and for some reason after I removed the pulley I reassmled it and bam it was gone. Did this on my old motor and my 408. Made a whistling sound like a blower or something.