Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's the "Man" when it comes to choosing a cam...............

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's the "Man" when it comes to choosing a cam...............

Thread title almost rhymed.

You can PM if ya want or talk about it here. My builder has his own ideas, he's very conservative with cams yet still makes sickening power with small ones, but I want other thoughts and ideas.

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

My process, call cam motion, comp & howards. Compare their thoughts and availability to get the thing made. I decide from there. I have all 3 in motors and all have been fine.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

cool. thanks.

So I just tell them which heads, intake, cr, etc.....and they design a custom cam and make a one-off just for my engine? How long does it take to make one?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with Patrick G, he'll hook you up. He's a moderator on here.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Unless you know who to talk to at Comp (and I do not), I would write them off that list. Everytime I have talked with their cam help line i have walked away very disappointed. It seems they want to put RV cams in everything. The last one I talked to said i could not get the LSK lobe on a LSX style camshaft and then when I pushed the issue he clarified well that I could but they do not recommend them and that they did not list them in their catalogs because they were for serious racing only. Oh well I got one anyway. Of course now a wonder what a solid would be for. For what it is worth, there are a lot of guys on here very knowledgeable about camshafts and valve events. Just create a post on here clearly defining your goals and what you are working with; be reasonable with your expectations, and then compare notes. That way if everyone steers you in the same general direction you can sleep at night confident you made the right choice. Just FYI, do not start the post with "I need the best cam".
Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
Unless you know who to talk to at Comp (and I do not), I would write them off that list. Everytime I have talked with their cam help line i have walked away very disappointed. It seems they want to put RV cams in everything. The last one I talked to said i could not get the LSK lobe on a LSX style camshaft and then when I pushed the issue he clarified well that I could but they do not recommend them and that they did not list them in their catalogs because they were for serious racing only. Oh well I got one anyway. Of course now a wonder what a solid would be for. For what it is worth, there are a lot of guys on here very knowledgeable about camshafts and valve events. Just create a post on here clearly defining your goals and what you are working with; be reasonable with your expectations, and then compare notes. That way if everyone steers you in the same general direction you can sleep at night confident you made the right choice. Just FYI, do not start the post with "I need the best cam".
This combo has never been done, thats why I was asking for the best cam dude to talk to, or custom cam manufacturer would do too.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree forget about looking to COMP CAMS as you never know what tech geek you get on the other side who don't know ****. Patrick G, Predator Z, Jake Fusion, are both great cam people here, but your BEST sticking with what your engine builder suggests (and I understand he really KNOWS his **** and has a GREAT Reputation in the racing world) and remember, most people here over cam their set-ups, and the smallest cam that makes the most power throughout the entire rpm band for any given application is the cam to use.

Also, smaller cams seem to work better with F/I vs HUGE CAMS!!

Good luck BRO!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
I agree forget about looking to COMP CAMS as you never know what tech geek you get on the other side who don't know ****. Patrick G, Predator Z, Jake Fusion, are both great cam people here, but your BEST sticking with what your engine builder suggests (and I understand he really KNOWS his **** and has a GREAT Reputation in the racing world) and remember, most people here over cam their set-ups, and the smallest cam that makes the most power throughout the entire rpm band for any given application is the cam to use.

Also, smaller cams seem to work better with F/I vs HUGE CAMS!!

Good luck BRO!
PM'ed ya. This is for an N/A set up.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Take the time and make an honest effort to understand cam specs and how they work, and YOU will be the best cam spec person you know.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just call up Comp and order a 3/4 race cam. They'll get you hooked up
Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Take the time and make an honest effort to understand cam specs and how they work, and YOU will be the best cam spec person you know.
I read the cam stickies and some threads I searched (the search worked )

But I just don't understand how to actually match a cam to the heads, the lift, LSA, duration, etc.... too much to know with everything that matters with a cam selection.

I read a book once on how to build an engine fron intake to oil pan. I think if I tried it the engine would explode on initial start-up. It's not that easy.

Last edited by Quickin; 05-10-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

pm'd ya!!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

lots of good people on here personally i use gomer
Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Ive always liked the response from Texas speed, they seem to know there stuff and actually answer alot of your questions. Im set on buyin a Magic stick from them once I get the funds for heads/cam swap.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
That is the best response I have heard in a very long time. Make an honest effort to understand engine symmetry. Once paid a lot of money for a "custom" L98 camshaft for an old GTA that I used to run way back when. Not too long afterward, picked up one of many David Vizard's "understanding camshafts" books, and thought to myself, jeez, I paid close to five hundred dollars for that cam, and could have confidently drawn up a better one myself simply by reading the right material before hand....
Old 05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quickin
I read a book once on how to build an engine fron intake to oil pan. I think if I tried it the engine would explode on initial start-up. It's not that easy.
But this is how all of the cam guru's here learned. Trial and error....
Old 05-11-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
But this is how all of the cam guru's here learned. Trial and error....
I really don't want to or have the time for the "trial and error" method. The guru's do it for a living or make it their serious hobby. I don't want to have my builder do 10 can swaps on my car until I find the one I like. There are experts out there that are in the business of helping people do this so we don't have to. (ie: sponsor list to the right) I just wanted to know who's "the man" to make it faster.

I want my engine to be built once and drive my car. So as GREAT as "Nine *****" recomendation is, it's not so great to me. I have better things to do than to learn a new trade just so I can pick a cam. I drive cars, I don't like to build them, if I did than I'd be one of those experts on engine building.

I think I can tell "the man" what engine I'm haivng built, the heads and intake I'm using, some other details of the build and what the purpose for the car is, and they can tell me pretty darn close to which cam I need.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just call thunder racing and ask for Patrick G or PM him on here.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Just call thunder racing and ask for Patrick G or PM him on here.
I've got of couple emails out to guys and waiting replies, I'll also be calling a couple places on Monday. I'll pm Patrick too.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quickin
I really don't want to or have the time for the "trial and error" method. The guru's do it for a living or make it their serious hobby. I don't want to have my builder do 10 can swaps on my car until I find the one I like. There are experts out there that are in the business of helping people do this so we don't have to. (ie: sponsor list to the right) I just wanted to know who's "the man" to make it faster.

I want my engine to be built once and drive my car. So as GREAT as "Nine *****" recomendation is, it's not so great to me. I have better things to do than to learn a new trade just so I can pick a cam. I drive cars, I don't like to build them, if I did than I'd be one of those experts on engine building.

I think I can tell "the man" what engine I'm haivng built, the heads and intake I'm using, some other details of the build and what the purpose for the car is, and they can tell me pretty darn close to which cam I need.

All of this is very true. However if you are really building something very different, then not every first pitch is a homerun. Even the best have to learn something everyday