Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INstalling the Harmonic Balancer

Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default INstalling the Harmonic Balancer

OK...SO, I was installing the harmonic balancer, and I torqued the old bolt as much as I possibly could (don't have a torque wrench that reads 240). When I went to install the new bolt I torqued it to 37 ft/lbs, and marked it, and turned it 140. But turning it 140 was CAKE. Everyone has told me its really hard to make it to 140 and my buddy said he need a full length jack handle and he was straining, and I am not nearly as big or strong as him....how can I check make sure its right. If its not right do I have to buy a new bolt, or can I go on with the old one. (for the record, I didnt put near as much force on the new bolt as the old one when I was installing it. I am trying to get the car running today...please help.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 37 is to put in a definable preload from which you do the bolt stretch. Based on your description, it almost sounds like the bolt may not have been bottomed or that the threads may have had an issue that allowed you to get a preload reading of 37 lb-ft without it being in contact with the hub. Hard to tell based on descriptions though.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it...I didnt have the balancer all the way down...went back out and looked at it again, 20 minutes later 150lbs of me was hanging on a 3 foot breaker bar waiting for the socket to pop of the bolt and help me destroy my fender

Search this Thread