Sponsored by:

Best Pump Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Pump Gas?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, mods please move if it is:

In all of my previous vehicles I've had the best luck with Union 76 here in Ca; they and Shell 91 oct are the only gases that aren't filled with MTBE and instead use ethanol. I've consistently gotten better mileage and noticed slightly more power with these gases in all my vehicles when running 76 and as such have always ran it in my LS1.

Now after watching/reading the articles at Grassroots Motorsports with their project FRC, the tuner recommends Mobil 1 fuels saying he can get slightly more ignition advance and power while running them. In the video, the editor claims the FRC made a few more ponies with the Mobil.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new...olet-corvette/

Does anyone have evidence of what is the best pump gas to run in the LSX motors? I understand we are talking potentially only a few hp here, but I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone has any proof as what truly yields the most power.

thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 05:04 AM
Staging Lane

I've noticed better mileage using Chevron Supreme 93oct. with Techron. A little more power, too. But it mostly keeps my fuel system a little cleaner.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

i like exxon 93...
Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once upon a time...
My brother was working on the loading dock at a refinery called Placid. He was running tubing to plumb the instruments on what was called the mixing station. While he was working he saw Exxon, Mobil, Chevron, Shell, Texaco, Racetrack, Amerifuel, etc... all filling their trucks at the same place. This mixing station was set up to mix the additives as the fuel was pumped into the truck. Techron, clean system 3, or whatever additive and even the octane boosters are blended in as the truck is loaded.

So pick an additive you like b/c the gas all comes from the same place.

THE END
Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I was looking for dyno results or empirical evidence as to which is the best fuel and why, that is why I placed it in this forum. I prefaced it that if it is the wrong forum to please move.

thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is a good question though...with bp having cheap gas and other places, who actually has decent gas these days? my car runs like crap on BP and i havent tried shell or exxon
Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

With all the modifications we all do to our engines, there's no way that any one answer would be possible anyway.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Good thread.

I'm in Phoenix where everyone has the Ethanol, and 91 octane is the top of the line.

My car pings like mad under hard acceleration and since it's my DD, I don't really feel like spending the dough on octane booster every tank.

If anyone is in the Phx (specifically Mesa) and has recommendations on a place to get decent gas...even if it's a few cents more per gallon, post up.