Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After cam swap car won't always start on first try?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After cam swap car won't always start on first try?

Hey guys, I recently did a cam swap. I also had the car tuned by a reputable shop. My issue is that sometimes the car won't start on the first try. Sometimes it will, sometimes it takes two tries, sometimes it takes a bunch. I am getting no codes, and the car runs great. I tried changing the key thinking maybe the chip was worn, no go. Any ideas on what could be causing this? A friend of mine familar with LSx tuning really thinks it needs more tuning (exactly what I don't know). Any thoughts on what the cause can be?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

If it is the FMS cam in your sig then it could be the fact that CamMotion ground some cams with the cam sensor pickup on backwards. Some of them might have gone to FMS since I seem to recall they use CamMotion. This required that the A and C wires of the cam sensor be switched. I've done this and the car ran fine, but had starting issues. The car behaved exactly as you are saying yours does. Maybe that is your problem, maybe its something totally different.

John

Originally Posted by SSINISTR SS
Hey guys, I recently did a cam swap. I also had the car tuned by a reputable shop. My issue is that sometimes the car won't start on the first try. Sometimes it will, sometimes it takes two tries, sometimes it takes a bunch. I am getting no codes, and the car runs great. I tried changing the key thinking maybe the chip was worn, no go. Any ideas on what could be causing this? A friend of mine familar with LSx tuning really thinks it needs more tuning (exactly what I don't know). Any thoughts on what the cause can be?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSP Racing
If it is the FMS cam in your sig then it could be the fact that CamMotion ground some cams with the cam sensor pickup on backwards. Some of them might have gone to FMS since I seem to recall they use CamMotion. This required that the A and C wires of the cam sensor be switched. I've done this and the car ran fine, but had starting issues. The car behaved exactly as you are saying yours does. Maybe that is your problem, maybe its something totally different.

John
I had one of the bad cams and went through all that crap. I decided I wanted a new cam, and this is a new one. Thanks though.

Last edited by SSINISTR SS; 05-24-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSINISTR SS
I had one of the bad cams, this is a new one. Thanks though.
hmm... no tellin then. I would think the tune would have to be very jacked up to make the car not want to start all of the time. And if that was the case, the start-up problem would probably be your last concern.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSP Racing
hmm... no tellin then. I would think the tune would have to be very jacked up to make the car not want to start all of the time. And if that was the case, the start-up problem would probably be your last concern.
Like I said though sometimes it starts right up, other times it takes a few tries. I know there must be some adjustments that can be made in some tables in the tuning software. I'm just looking for suggestions before I make the 90 minute trip to my tuner.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possible starter goin out???
Old 05-24-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Exclamation I think I know!

Maybe I can help. I installed my CheaTR cam almost two years ago. I've had problems starting too. It (finally) went to the tuner last week (picking it up tomorrow . One thing discussed was the starting issue. For a while I thought it might have been a starter or the coils or something electrical, but the motor would turn over just fine, even after repeated tries.

On the Dyno he noticed the problem. It was caused by a lack of fuel pressure. For whatever reason, the fuel pressure just goes away after the car is turned off, instead of keeping a constant pressure in the line like it's supposed to. The Tuner replaced the stocker fuel pump with a 255L pump and he says its working just fine now.

Hope this helps. Thats' what my problem was.

-Charlie
Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
possible starter goin out???
Thought that, but it cranks....the starter sounds healthy.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

(bump for my previous post...crazy thread-lag )
Old 05-24-2007, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
(bump for my previous post...crazy thread-lag )
I'll look into that, but the last time I checked my car had good pressure.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're on the stock fuel system right? Your car should hold pressure when it's off, unlike a lot of aftermarket fuel setups. Do you let the pump prime in the ON position for a second or two before putting the key to START?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

I think I might have found the issue. I swapped the ignition relay with the fan relay and it started on the first shot three times. I'm hoping it wasn't luck and the relay was bad.....
Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 AM
12 Second Club

cool, hope it works out for ya!..