Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding to try Royal Purple - Which Weight? 5w-30 - 10w-40 - 5w-40

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Deciding to try Royal Purple - Which Weight? 5w-30 - 10w-40 - 5w-40

I have decided to go with Royal Purple's line of oils. I have heard many great things about Royal Purple and thought to myself, "What the hell." I have spun a bearing in my older LS1 while using Mobil 5w-30 and I am a bit **** with oils, oil pressure and what not. Don't turn this thread into a decision-swaying oil battle. I wish to try this and send the oil to be analyzed for my own sake to end my confusion from all the oil fights on here.

So which weight should I use? I am being VERY **** now-a-days and thought 5w-40 would be ideal? Others are running 10w-30 and 10w-40 but I believe that running those two would be too thick at startup. What do you guys think?

Thanx!

Oh yea, I also plan on running Royal Purple's Transmission and Rear-End Fluid too!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rp41.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Always Use Rp10/40
Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Mobil 1 5w30
Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

10-40 or 5-30 will work well either way id go with 10-40 if its hot where you live msot of the time
Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

he lives in southside chicago,i dont think it gets that warm up there does it?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Launching!

RP 10-30 for me in DFW.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Launching!

I just stopped using Mobil 1 in my cars...I was formerly very loyal but read in more than a few places that M1 is no longer what it used to be. You're paying $3.00 more a quart for a crappy synthetic MIX (and I'm basing this on FACT, not opinion, so those who disagree can keep it to themselves).

I've actually been reading around too and noticed that Royal Purple did some changing too...which is why Wal Mart started carrying them(they've gone cheap like M1). Not trying call them sh*t really, but I just figured I'd let you know. Too many people rely on opinions in regards to motor oil and no one uses facts...it's always "Brand X is what I use, so it's the BEST oil out there!" or "I've used brand x for 20 years, so it's THE best out there!" Bottom line is don't be persuaded by opinion, do the research and figure it out for yourself.

I'm very **** with my cars and did a lot of research on this before finally sending a PM to sarge on the LS1.com forums asking him what to use(THAT man knows his sh*t, if you listen to ANYONE, let it be him). He's researched the subject of motor oil for an extremely long time and all I can say is facts don't lie, I'm taking his advice!

He advised Penzoil Platinum 10/30 for my Z28(daily driver/some race use), and a Valvoline Race oil 20/50 for my 88 Mustang(race car)...just an FYI.

Like I said, so a search and see for yourself, you'll get a handfull of a$$holes that'll argue left and right about one oil or another because they spun a bearing or some other bull, but don't listen to them, sh*t happens. The chances of it being the oil's fault are pretty much NIL!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

In Chicago, we experience everything from 0 Degrees F to 100 Degrees. Yesterday was close to 89. With the damn Lake Michigan, the humidity factor makes it seem a lot higher.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

RP 10/30....no problems,,,i spin 7k too
E
Old 05-25-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Nighthawk: Yes, I agree. I am not liking what I'm hearing from Mobil 1 users and I personally don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be. I want to try Royal Purple, not because of its Horsepower gains but for the "buttery" and "smoother" feeling that people I know and people on here have stated. Supposedly, Royal Purple's tests shows that with use, the bearings became smoother. I've seen some independent sources that has shown increases of about 8 horses when changing the Transmission, Rear-end and motor oil. Some people will say that these sources are biased because RP sends them some money. I don't know what to believe anymore! Plus, people have said that Penzoil and Valvoline are crap!

I think I'm just going to buy a damn bike.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

LOL! Yea, it's a tricky thing...it's so hard to determine who to believe. Even the "independent" studies are slanted the majority of the time. I've seen a few people that say Penzoil and Valvoline suck too, but again they're the type that simply say so "because" and have no reasoning...or they blame the oil for blowing their car up when they drove it like a douche and did it themselves. Car blows up and right away it's, "well it HAS TO be the oil, because I just switched brands". Yea...it's not cause you over-revved the **** out of it and went 5-8k between oil changes, right?

Originally Posted by sarge
yeah internet experts are full of ****....I hang out at the lab ( no ****) and have picked up a "few" things over the years.....I don't listen to those opinions...all you get is whatever oil is in their car is the 'best" one...bullshit....Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 for your LS1 is perfect...you'll love it and it will give you great wear numbers and performance....For your Stang ( I built more than few myself...great frickin cars) I really like the Valvoline Racing Oil 20-50...we use it in out Altered ( 7 sec car) with great results.... http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=95
You can get it at NAPA/AutoZone places like that no problem and it is damn good oil for your FI application. Great ZDDP packs....
That was the PM sarge sent me.

Sarge has been the only person I've seen thus far with seemingly ROCK SOLID knowledge of the subject, and these were the conclusions he's come to, that's why I'm going with his advice. Anyway GOOD LUCK with the RP stuff, let everyone know how it works out!

Last edited by nighthawk355x; 05-25-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:41 AM
Banned

I just go with what an oil analysis says.

Here's a PM excerpt from someone who is also highly respected on this board when it comes to oils:

RP41 is actually a very good oil, probably the only RP oil I'd consider using. I've seen it produce pretty good oil analysis results in an LS1. It's completely safe for a street motor too, it's got enough additives to safely run it for 5 or 6000 miles.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:25 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Ive been using RP 5w 30 for about 80k miles now its been good to me. The car has 131k on it.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I have decided to go with Royal Purple's line of oils. I have heard many great things about Royal Purple and thought to myself, "What the hell." I have spun a bearing in my older LS1 while using Mobil 5w-30 and I am a bit **** with oils, oil pressure and what not. Don't turn this thread into a decision-swaying oil battle. I wish to try this and send the oil to be analyzed for my own sake to end my confusion from all the oil fights on here.

So which weight should I use? I am being VERY **** now-a-days and thought 5w-40 would be ideal? Others are running 10w-30 and 10w-40 but I believe that running those two would be too thick at startup. What do you guys think?

Thanx!

Oh yea, I also plan on running Royal Purple's Transmission and Rear-End Fluid too!

Bob is the oil guy (BITGO) web site &/or fellow member Patman are good resources for used oil analysis results pertaining to various oils in the LSX & other motors. There's a good chance to be a UOA for different weight Royal Purple oils.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 AM

I would listen to Bobistheoilguy or Patman about oil.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

racing 21 or 5w30.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you really want to know what is good for YOUR engine, geographic area, and driving style than the only way to know is through oil analysis and quality interpretation.

Premium analysis from Terry Dyson is the only way to go. I've been a Dyson Analysis customer for 4 years now and I can positively state with fact that you have to be very careful with what you hear from the Internet experts.

I'll say this much concerning MY experience with RP. I ran Racing 21 for 18 months in two cars before I gave up on it. I stopped using it based on actual oil analysis results. There are better oils out there!
Old 05-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah...something changed with RP for sure. Patman and I both had crap for UOA's. RP sheared down significantly and wear metals went through the roof. Dyson and I are going through an exercise at present and RP is not a part of it. You folks are correct....stick with analysis and stay away from the internet experts....and Dyson blows away the "$25 dollar UOA's" from the labs ......for the record....I sent my last Royal Purple Racing 41 UOA to Royal Purple tech department....ask them if anything had changed and what is up with the shearing issue...also provided links to other UOA's....their response was "many racing teams utilize Royal Purple"....oh well.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Nighthawk: Yes, I agree. I am not liking what I'm hearing from Mobil 1 users and I personally don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be. I want to try Royal Purple, not because of its Horsepower gains but for the "buttery" and "smoother" feeling that people I know and people on here have stated. Supposedly, Royal Purple's tests shows that with use, the bearings became smoother. I've seen some independent sources that has shown increases of about 8 horses when changing the Transmission, Rear-end and motor oil. Some people will say that these sources are biased because RP sends them some money. I don't know what to believe anymore! Plus, people have said that Penzoil and Valvoline are crap!

I think I'm just going to buy a damn bike.

me and my uncle didn't beleive the whole HP gain by using RP either, but we changed all the fluids in his 04 Cobra and his car saw a 5hp increase. We dyno'd the car before we did the oil change, which was Mobile 1 Full Syn, then right after the oil change. I'd show you the dyno sheet but he lives in Houston, TX and I live 12 hours away and he doesn't get on forums. Either way, i'm switching to RP

Quick Reply: Deciding to try Royal Purple - Which Weight? 5w-30 - 10w-40 - 5w-40