Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads//cam, ls7 lifters, LOUD Lifter noise please read! TSP Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 02:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Heads//cam, ls7 lifters, LOUD Lifter noise please read! TSP Help please?

So just got done with the heads cam swap this morning, prc cnc ls6 stage ones, ms3 cam, ls7 lifters(from tsp which the part # match, but not the pics of ls7 lifters), ported ls6 pump, kooks 1 3/4 lts, LS6 intake, gutted cats, lt1 radiator (thicker core), a/c delete, and whatever else I'm forgetting...

So anyways after hours of cleaning old gasket material off the block (94k on factory graphite, longest part of this whole job), pinning everything back together I recheck everything, etc etc, and fire her up with open headers, and no o2's, fire's RIGHT up with no issues, 60 psi on the oil guage, gets warm drops to 40 (in my driveway), as she warms has trouble idleing, pull the TB off the car, drill a 3/16 hole in the TB, now she idles great at 800 rpm, lopey as ****, valvetrain up front makes a decent amount of noise but nothing nearly unacceptable, less than my 00 silverado with 47k and less than it did before.

So shut her down, go knock out the cats, extend the o2's, come back with a scanner, reset codes, pin everything up, and fire her up, once again, fires RIGHT up, great oil pressure, so it's time to take he for a ride.

Put around town a bit, good oil psi, car starts loading up, getting Pig ritch, so I get it up to 4k with about 60% throttle, then it's like a snap to great power to the wheels, basically the same as clearing out a loaded up car at the track before a run. Clears up but gets real hard running again once it drops to idle, then to start driving again. Pretty sure it's just cause I'm on stock tune.

So after a few miles I shift 1 - 2, when she gets to 3k I start to lay in, tires blow off at 4k and the car gets to bout 5700 rpms with magor wheelspin so not to much stress on the motor, shut her down, drive back home, park for a bit cause she's loud as hell. Take her out again 10 min later to get some time on the PCM's "fuel trim learn" mode, and I start hearing a Loud lifter tap, car starts running like a dog witch may just be the tune, may not, look down and the oil psi is about 18, which is lower than ever before. I'm a half a block away from home so I say **** it and finsh the ride home. park it scratch my head.

Let her sit for 10 min cause she's hot. Lift the valve covers, disconnect the coils and injectors, and crank it to make sure all the valve train is working right and not stuck anywere, and thats fine, but when I crank no oil scuirts to the lifters? decide I'm gonna rig the coils up with the valve covers off and check, still no squirting oil to the lifters at idle, but when I blip the gas it splashes all over.

Shouldn't I be getting oil at ldle? Car had 40psi at idle with no splashing.

I notice the valve noise isn't loud at all, so I put the valve covers back on and fire her up, NO NOISE!!! **** I'm happy, so I go for a ride to check. Sure as **** after 5 minutes it comes back, oil pressure drops to 20 ish at idle, 30 max with some load...

Can anyone chime it? Stuck lifter? Anything? Car drives great till after what seems like anything close to 4k rpms brings it back, drove 20 miles onthe freeway with no noise at all (it's loud enough to hear on the freeway over the wind and exhaust), but when I pull off, I get it again after another mile of city driving.Thought it might have been the oil pump o-ring, but it dissapears after the car sits for 5 min, maybe gunk getting stuck in the bottom of the oil pickup?

Please I need your help!

Thanks! -Mark
Old 05-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
Thought it might have been the oil pump o-ring,

That would have been my guess... I never had oil squirting really with the covers off like I did on LT1's (head's angle maybe?). Then again I never had them off for an extended time like I did for my LT1's (which I had to adjust the rockers on).

Should this new pump bring lower or higher pressure?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Banned

Maybe there was a blockage that worked it's way through...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Teching In

call TSP on tuesday.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

I highly doubt it's the o-ring, it was in good condition and it went in really smooth. Not to mention if it was the o-ring my car should have like 5 psi at all times, it wouldn't matter if it had warmed up for 10 min or somehting. Small theory of mine is that, the oil pump pickup is getting clogged after the engine goes past a certain RPM, there was a lot of gasket debree I thought I had taken care of, who knows, gonna go drain the oil and see if it's clean or not. So if that pickup gets clogged, the whole motor has problems getting oil, dropping the oil pressure and causing the car to run horib because the lifters arent getting what they need, and they're tapping. But the car never drops bellow like 18 psi, so I can't see anything getting damaged, if the lifter is stuck it might make the valve and the piston meet, but that would be a whole different noise?

Going to change that oil and try and find some button allan bolts for Billy's 90/90 set up! Gotta fix that vacuum leak!
Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Teching In

some one help this kid out
Old 05-28-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good idea to change the oil. You put the new lifters in some oil over night to prep them right? I'm gunna be doing H/C plus a lot more on my car this summer. I have been doing a lot of research. I hope I don't have any problems!

Good Luck
Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah they soaked over night. Bout to drop the pan and change the oil pump pickup tube o-ring.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

did u go through the heat cycle on everything? if ur gonna drop the pan, might as well upgrade the rod bolts. good luck, get her up and running again
Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

Well she warmed up to operating temp and cooled fully 3 times on the jack stands in my driveway...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Btw used Rislone, half a quart of lucas oil stab, and some 10-40, got the lifter tap after 20 min on the freeway, but it stopped tapping altogether while I was pulling off, havent heard anymore tapping since, BUT, oil psi is down to 10 at idle, which is wayyyyyyy low for this car. Unbolted the pan, but decied I needed to spend the rest of the night with the wife since I gotta be up at 4am for work and she hasn't seen me since friday =D Gonna have to wait till next weekend. I'll call TSP Tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Well she warmed up to operating temp and cooled fully 3 times on the jack stands in my driveway...
yeah but u brought the rpms too high for the first day, not saying this is what caused ur problems but u have to heat cycle them for a day and, keep the RPMs under 4K, then allow to cool overnight. if ur using thicker oil to break in everything try switching back to ur old oil(the wieght u used b4). u already seen the top end was good, check the bottom end now, could b the o ring, maybe u pinched it a bit IDK, just throwing suggestions out there. good luck
Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

1- O-ring

Don't seem like you changed it.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
yeah but u brought the rpms too high for the first day, not saying this is what caused ur problems but u have to heat cycle them for a day and, keep the RPMs under 4K, then allow to cool overnight. if ur using thicker oil to break in everything try switching back to ur old oil(the wieght u used b4).
Parts were used, already broken in...
Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 AM
Banned

Btw used Rislone, half a quart of lucas oil stab, and some 10-40, got the lifter tap after 20 min on the freeway, but it stopped tapping altogether while I was pulling off, havent heard anymore tapping since, BUT, oil psi is down to 10 at idle, which is wayyyyyyy low for this car. Unbolted the pan, but decied I needed to spend the rest of the night with the wife since I gotta be up at 4am for work and she hasn't seen me since friday =D Gonna have to wait till next weekend. I'll call TSP Tomorrow.
Maybe the noise was prior to the rockers having time to adjust themselves... A littlle clacking that took care of itself.

Are you sure the lower pressure isn't just the way the new pump operates? I have no clue, ask Dylan what his pressure used to be...
Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 AM
10 Second Club

Thinking either the return feed line is clogged or the pickup is clogged, because the oil pressure got lower with the thicker oil, not better... And if the new pump operates at 10psi, low enough for the check guages light to come on, I would have thought I'd seen that posted all over the forums or somethin.

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Maybe the noise was prior to the rockers having time to adjust themselves... A littlle clacking that took care of itself.

Are you sure the lower pressure isn't just the way the new pump operates? I have no clue, ask Dylan what his pressure used to be...
Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

I baught my ported pump with 300 miles on it, and I've been told that it doesn't come with a new o-ring(buddy just got his from tsp on friday with no new o-ring), and the original was in great condition. I could very well have pinched it though, could just be one of those installation errors.

Anyone got a link on the ARP rod bolt install?

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
1- O-ring

Don't seem like you changed it.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

rod bolt install should be in one of the stickies at the top.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/675343-rod-bolt-install-write-up.html (rod bolt sticky)

No pump comes with O-ring, these are a PITA and it is always good to have a few laying around. Never should it be reused and always changed.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know quite a few people that had problems w/ the Lucas oil stabilizer causing the oil to aerate. Drain that stuff out of there and put just motor oil.

Last edited by 5.3LJimmy; 05-29-2007 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Heads//cam, ls7 lifters, LOUD Lifter noise please read! TSP Help please?