Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my lifters off, how can i tell if they were the cause of ticking, can i check?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Took my lifters off, how can i tell if they were the cause of ticking, can i check?

besides for installing my new lifters and turning the car on to see if the clicking stopped, how can i tell if the lifters were bad? is there anyway to check the lifters? i mean the only thing i found was one of the lifter's rollers had alittle more side to side movement then the rest
Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

no way people?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i understand, on the pushrod side, try to push down and if it compresses at all, then it is bad
Old 05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Launching!

The only way a lifter would make a noticable "clicking" sound would be if it is collapsed. Try taking a pushrod and compressing it. If the piston moves down alittle bit, and then back up it is probably fine. Has the engine always done it or did it suddently start? It is possible that one of the rockers loosened or was never tightened down all the way, causing the sound also.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hazard2k
The only way a lifter would make a noticable "clicking" sound would be if it is collapsed. Try taking a pushrod and compressing it. If the piston moves down alittle bit, and then back up it is probably fine. Has the engine always done it or did it suddently start? It is possible that one of the rockers loosened or was never tightened down all the way, causing the sound also.
it would occasinally click then go away, and i checked all my rocker arms they were fine, ill do the pushrod test now
Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

If it ticked and then went away - you probably just need to set your preload correctly with longer pushrods.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Launching!

I had a problem with my 95 Z that i would occosionaly get a odd noise that sounded like it was coming from under the passenger valve cover. I swapper out the whole complete valve train, i mean lifters, pushrods, rockers, springs, all hardware... Noise was still there. My dad walks in there and notices there was 2 header bolts missing on the front of the passenger side header. I threw 2 bolts in, problem solved. I can not believe how much they sounded the same! Easy thing to check that may save you lots of time...
Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hazard2k
I had a problem with my 95 Z that i would occosionaly get a odd noise that sounded like it was coming from under the passenger valve cover. I swapper out the whole complete valve train, i mean lifters, pushrods, rockers, springs, all hardware... Noise was still there. My dad walks in there and notices there was 2 header bolts missing on the front of the passenger side header. I threw 2 bolts in, problem solved. I can not believe how much they sounded the same! Easy thing to check that may save you lots of time...
Thank you sooo much my car is ticking right now and it sounds like it is coming from underneath the drivers side valve cover.. My brother did take off the manifolds a few weeks ago maybe that is the problem.. Hmmm need to check that before i do a new set of lifters. Im hoping its just a loose bolt.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

dude, just finish the dam car already, ARGGH
Old 06-01-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless it looks like it was coming aparat, or the plunger stays depressed, i dont know of any way to tell.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

has anyone ever changed out the lifters and the clicking actually stopped??