Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Performance Valvespring tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More Performance Valvespring tool?

It finally arrived today and I'm a bit stumped. A pen magnet type thing and something that looks like a partially retarded rocker arm. Anyone who knows how to use this is encouraged to PM me, reply here or anything! I need to know how to use it by this weekend.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: More Performance Valvespring tool?

To use it all you have to do is bolt it to the rocker stand, and use a 3/8in. ratchet to compress the spring. Make sure you hit the top of the spring before you compress it or the valve will just go down with the spring. The pen magnet it came with is for grabbing the valve keepers.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2003, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That tool doesn't live up to its claims. It's made of a poor grade aluminum and will chip when you have to exert a lot of force on it. It's great for removing stock LS1/LS6 springs but is pretty much useless for doing aftermarket springs. We tried putting a set of CC 918s on with this tool and it was on the verge of splitting/cracking as we tried to compress the spring. I hope it works better for you.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

That tool doesn't live up to its claims. It's made of a poor grade aluminum and will chip when you have to exert a lot of force on it. It's great for removing stock LS1/LS6 springs but is pretty much useless for doing aftermarket springs. We tried putting a set of CC 918s on with this tool and it was on the verge of splitting/cracking as we tried to compress the spring. I hope it works better for you.
perhaps you had a defective unit? I used mine on my REV-1116 Dual springs which have a higher spring pressure than the comp 918's and it worked great. Mine still looks brand new after removing 16 REV-1116 springs and then installing 16 more.

On a seperate note, get yourself a 2 foot long cheater pipe to put over your ratchet and it will make it alot easier to compress the springs.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The extension works wonders. I love this tool. Made installing my 918's a snap
Old 05-01-2003, 09:14 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Tool worked fine for me with 987s and 918s, only problems on an f-body is getting the keepers unstuck (C5s are right out in the open so it no problem). The regular tool you can just rock back and forth, this one needs some taps with a mallet to get them loose before you put the tool on which is no problem except for the rear ones that are a little hard to get to. It cuts spring install time in half..

I didnt like that they used a stock rocker trunion that limits the movement, I pried one of the end caps off a bit so you could swing the tool up all the way and not have to take it off to put the springs on..

Old 05-01-2003, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

The MORE spring tool was great for about 13 of the springs on my car.

The other 3 that required a longer extension, were impossible to get the keepers on. Seemed like the longer extensions put too much torque on the tool, causing the retainer to not be centered on top the valve stem causing it to be impossible to get both keepers on.

I wound up using a crank style spring tool for the two passenger side springs under the cowl.

BTW, the tool certainly speeds up taking off the stock springs!

Tommy
Old 05-01-2003, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

I have heard a ton of good things about them. I was thinking of getting one. Is there any others that work better maybe?
Old 05-01-2003, 10:10 AM
kp
8 Second Club

didnt have any problem with the extentions, I cut a stock aluminum rocker stand so it just has the stands for two rockers and used a wobbly extension and was able to push the ratchet (snap-on 3/8 long flex) into the head and pull - no problem even with 987s. Once the tool is tightened down to the rocker stand its very stable. I think it should be made of steel though, the hole where the extension goes is getting worn already..